What's new

Cables - where's the value sweet spot? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
This has probably been discussed to death, but I'm thinking about buying some decent cables and am wondering what if it is worth it to spend $ or $$$? Specifically, I want to upgrade the standard component cable that connects my DVD directly to the HDTV.

I have a pretty middle-road HT setup:

* DVD Panasonic R51
* HDTV Mitsu WS-46809
* Receiver HK 520

I was thinking about buying a 12 ft Gold Series component cable from Radio Shack as I have had good experience with Shack stuff in the past. Still, $50 seems a little steep for a DVD player that only cost me $135 in the first place.

So for ~$50, can I get a better 3-4 meter component cable than the Gold Series somewhere? And will the upgrade be noticable on a 46" TV, or would I be wasting my time?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Joe,

IMO you can do much better than RS when it comes to video cables. Try one of the custom cable makers. Either rhinocables.com or Bluejeanscable.com should be priced in the ball park. You will of course be getting Broadcast quality cables which will last you through many component upgrades.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Check the FOR SALE forum, as I saw a BetterCable 3meter Silver Serpent Component cable for $95 shipped a few minutes ago. You can probably knock it down ten bucks or so if you make the offer. See "Kimber/BetterCables" listing by LuisH.

Afraid in your price range of $50, that you might be locked into DIY type cable. Although good, better can be had, but, again >$50. With you Mits HDWS set, I would not scrimp on the component cables. Buy it once, not a series of upgrades, when you eventually tire of the generic stuff.

Good Luck

BOK

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
For what it's worth, I've heard some other people around here say that you should about 10% of the cost of your whole system on its cables. So if you have $2000 worth of gear, you should spend roughly about $200 on cables. I guess that's a general rule of the thumb so that the quality of the cables matches the quality of your system, so that you don't spend too much on cables that are overkill nor spend too little on cables that aren't good enough.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Checkout Acoustic Research Master series(http://www.araccessories.com/masters...asp?category=1). Top quality for a great price.

AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against noise and interference.
Frequency-corrected silver-coated solid >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper center conductor delivers optimum high-frequency signal transfer.
Locking, precision-machined RCA connectors with 24k gold-plated split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer.
Kevin

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I agree with Mark - don't skimp on the component video cables, especially with a nice display like yours. Rhinocables uses all Canare cables and connectors, and a 3 meter cable from them is $50. I can make the exact same cable at home, for less than that (including shipping) - and would be happy to if you're interested (I have a lot of spare cable and connectors lying around that I'd like to use up). If you're interested, drop me an email.

Jason

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Rhinocables use Belden cables with Canare connectors.
Not trying to discourage members making cables for others but... With a legit cable company you do get warranty and return privilege plus they do it for a living so...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Oops, thanks for the correction Mark, guess I should actually learn to READ one of these days ;)
As for your other point, Dave IS local, so it wouldn't take him too long to hunt me down if I screwed him over...
Actually though, I'm going through the process of setting up a little business on the side that (among other things) includes making A/V cables, though forum rules (as I understand them) prohibit me from saying much more about it.
Regardless, I think it's fair to say that most folks on this forum would be pretty fair when it comes to returns and warranty issues. Though in the end it all boils down to what each one of us is most comfortable with.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Jason,

Good luck just don't quit your day job!
There are a dozen or more guys doing the same thing through E-bay and Audiogon etc. There are also those like you who hang out on the forums and offer to make/sell cables to other members for cost or very close to cost. Most give up and move on after a while. I used to build my own cables but now I buy them. If you add up what guys like Rhino, Bluejeans, Heartland, Wicked etc charge there is very little money to be made and the tool cost not to mention the hassle of sourcing.
The benefit to using one of the above is they have been around a while, weathered the storm and if you have a problem a year down the road they will likely still be there.
They all sell pretty much the same fine product for close to the same low price. They are also competing with the likes of Avcable, Gepco, MarkerteK, Cobalt, Signal, Catcables, Bolder not to mention Bettercables, Outlaw, ZU,Lat etc...
I've only mentioned only a few who are slicing up the pie. A search on E-bay, audigon will bring up a bunch more!

Just my two bits

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys.

For some of you (not all). Please remember that selling DIY cabling on the forum IS NOT ALLOWED. Please remember that HTF does have paid advertising AND an official cable supplier.

Thanks!!

Gregg

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll cruise around those websites and see what I can get for $50. I'm not opposed to going for higher quality myself, but after spending $2K on an HDTV, $500 on JBL S speakers, $1K on new cabinets, and $550 on an HK520 this year, the WAF will be understandably *LOW* for spending any $$$ on cables. I just need to get something decent to get by with and maybe demonstrate the difference a cable can make to the SO.
Next year I'll sneak in a better one ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks