Cables: Home Depot vs. Onix vs. AudioQuest vs. suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Antonio

Antonio Extra

Hello,
    As of now I am running my setup with el cheapo 16 gauge copper-silver (looks like it.. plated?) speaker wire. Got it from my dealer for free and my system still sounds great. I can't imagine it sounding much better but I guess it's worth a try [​IMG].
    What I am looking at is Home Depot wire, AudioQuest wire available at my dealer, and Onix. Bettercables' website says "coming soon with new stuff" but still an option.
    From my dealer, he says $5 a foot for their cheapest AudioQuest wires and it is four strands (insulated) of I believe solid copper in one tube. Is this the going price for this? He says I can bi-wire my speakers using just this cable and this "feature" seems attractive.
    I do not have an idea of what Home Depot wire costs (probably the 12 gauge) so prices would be helpful. I saw a link to a page showing a picture of a Home Depot wire turned green and it has been burned into my mind. Anything like that happen to anyone?
    Onix cables... the SP100/200 looks nice and cheap and was wondering if anyone had any complaints with em.
    I would like to bi-wire my speakers (mains: Paradigm 60s (~7 feet each) and center: Paradigm CC (6 feet)) only and need some help choosing a wire. I don't like a ratnest and was wondering if there were cheaper, quality cables that do the same thing as the AudioQuest.
    If you guys have alternative suggestions, that is welcomed as well. I do not like paying more than I have to and would like something that brings the most bang for the buck. If there is a difference (no personal attacks please)...
    Thanks in advance~ Antonio
    EDIT: Oh forgot to mention that I would like to spend less than one hundred on these cables... don't laugh I am poor.

2. Scott Houchin

If you can't imagine your system sounding better, and you don't have much money, then why not just decide to be happy with what you're already happy with.

This is a very subjective subject and you'll get lots of different opinions. The home depot wire is around $0.20 a foot.

3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

I picked up some AudioQuest Type4 the other day and tried to Bi-Wire my Klipsch RF7s, but the sound wasn't there, so I took my 12ga that they were wired with, put that on the Low Freq side of the speaker and then used the Type4 as a single cable, tying the two wires of the two pair to make a single cable and hooked that up to the High Freq side, sounded much better!

Worth a shot!

G2

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I just got some 12ga home depot stuff yesterday for $.35 a foot.
    I wonder if the oxidation really affects the cable. If the individual strands become "coated green" then they will have a harder time transfering a signal between the strands.
    But then again, the signal only goes one direction so there's no need for "cross transfer" between the strands.
    Then the only way oxidation affects cable would be the connections at the end which can be cleaned or tinned.
    I dunno, but for $3 for almost 10 feet.. I can afford new ones after 5 years. [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Antonio,
    If you are currently using plated copper wire, then you are definitely not hearing the best of your stereo.
    Go with the Audioquest wire. I have used it for over ten years and always found it good value for the money.
    By the way, oxidation does occur and impact sound quality. That is why many audiophiles regularly clean the connections on their stereo. I use Caig ProGold for this at around $15 a can that lasts forever.
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    Lee

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

All copper wire will oxidize once it's exposed to air. Every year or so you just have to trim off 1-2 inches of the exposed speaker wire, strip and re-connect. I do this as a part of my annual re-wire/cleaning.

Some people like to put connectors on their speaker wires and solder the exposed copper to prevent oxidization. But some of the more active DIY cable builders swear you should never solder your wires.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

as for bi wireing IMO I'd rather see you buy a good single lenght then two lesser wires to bi wire with. Bi wiring offers little benefits in most peoples systems so maximize your money and buy nicer single runs for each speaker. I think some of the benefits of better cables also depends on the speakers they are connected too. Larger guage cables can increase the bass reponse but if you're running your speakers as small with the bass going to the sub some of those benefits may be lost. Of course increased bass isn't the only benefit and you might find other sonic differences with other cables...its up to you to decide if those differences are worth the cost. You might want to look into IXOS cables as well. They're not to badly priced and come in a variety of guages. For the short lenghts you're running though moving to a really fat cable will have less of an effect then if you were running say 30 foot long cables.

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Antonio,

How about picking up some of that inexpensive 12 guage from Home Depot or one of the other sources mentioned, give it a try, and let us know? If you wanted to bi-wire you could mess around with combining your old wire and the new 12 guage stuff.

If you do try any of the fancier wires consider what the return policy is--just in case it doesn't make a difference to your ears in your system.

Lee,

I'm a ProGold fan myself.