1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cables for PW2200 Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisH, Dec 13, 2001.

1. DennisH

DennisH Auditioning

Wondering what kind of cables I will need to hook up this bad boy PW2200 sub without getting ripped off by monster. OR should I go with Monster cables? Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your hearing is very poor at subwoofer frequencies, and a lot of wall-reflections are involved in most rooms. In my opinion this is NOT the cable to spend extra money on.
    Since placing a sub can take some time, try going with a extra-long basic AR or Radio Shack cable for about $20. If you are trying to go across the room, make a cable from some CATV coax and "F-to-RCA" adaptors. You can make a 25 foot cable for about $12.
    Use this "starter" cable to play with positions. Then after 2-4 weeks of getting used to the sound, hit a store and try buying a Monster or other cable. Invite a few friends over to listen and swap cables and decide for yourself if a higher-end cable makes a difference.
    Hope this helps.
    PS: By "play with positions" I mean that some people like corner-loading to get the maximum reflection of the lowest sound, but others like a 2/5 or 1/3 along the wall placement to get less-intense, but smoother sound.
    One technique is to put the sub in your normal listening position and play some bass-heavy, typical music. (Disconnecting the other speakers helps). Then you move yourself along the wall and mark the spot on the floor with tape/beer can where the sound is the smoothest/best. When you have 2-3 spots marked, put the sub in the first postion, sit & drink the beer and decide if that position is a "keeper". Then try the next position. Eventually you will find the ideal spot for the sub or be so drunk that you dont care. [​IMG]
    So you see why having a cheap, extra-long cable is usefull for a new sub.

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I use Bettercables.com's sub cable with my PW2200 and I am very happy with it. Compare to the Monster sub cable I bought at BestBuy (sorry but I forget the model number), Bettercable made the bass much tighter. Bettercable is also better because you can customer order it for whatever length you need and their customer service is great. It's also cheaper then Monster.