Cables for my new HT system

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by VinnieL, Feb 1, 2004.

1. VinnieL

VinnieL Auditioning

I just got my first HT system, which consists of Onkyo HT510 6.1 speakers and a Pioneer VSX-D912K receiver.

I'm going to take your suggestions and purchase 12ga SoundKing speaker wire and compression style banana clips from partsexpress.

while i was there, i noticed a bunch of cables for a decent price(compared to monster). What do you guys think about DaytonAudio? I'm planning on getting a few of s-video cables from them:

1. 12' S-Video for receiver to tv
    2. 6' S-Video and TOS link cable for DVD to receiver
    3. 12' Sub Cable

Would you suggest these cables? or is something else you would suggest? Are these cables too good/or not good enough for my system? and How big is the difference between these cables and the cheapo cables they sell?
    Thanks for all your help.

--VL

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

WHt akind of TV are you using? If it has component inputs, you should get component video cables. I would recommend saving money on cables by going with the Sound King 14g cables instead of the 12g. The 14g cables are fine.

3. VinnieL

VinnieL Auditioning

My tv sucks...dont have enough money to upgrade that yet...

btw, the 12g is currently cheaper becasue partsexpress has a special running.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I firmly DO NOT believe in the maybe-maybe not advantages to expensive cables. That being said I find Dayton seaker cables to be a reasonable value. Plus they come with banana plugs pre-attached if your feeling lazy.

In my opinion: a Toslink connector is a Toslink connector.

I have a Radio Shack subwoofer cable. I can't imagine the Dayton Audio SW-cable is any different.

Suprise suprise, the s-video cables that come with the equipment didn't have any difference to picture quality when compared with my friends Monster Video 3 s-video cable. (Of course I have a cheapy 27" TV. Big screens or projectors may be a different story).

5. JasonMilch

JasonMilch Extra

DO NOT break the bank buying cables. Acoustic Research is reasonably priced, as are Home Depot.

6. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

Bluejeans, a sponsor here, has very reasonable priced cables but not speaker wire