What's new

cables for less cables (1 Viewer)

DallasR

Auditioning
Hi. I just ordered up a new projector and need to get my cables figured out now. I was looking at the cables for less component cables. Are they a decent cable for 25-50 foot lengths? Also since I will be using both component and s-vid do ya'll think it'd be alright to get the component and audio cable, snip off the audio rca plugs and solder on s-vid connectors. I'm assuming they're using the same cable type. That would be a nice single cable pull rather than 2 seperate. Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Snipping the ends off audio cables to create a SVideo cable is a bad idea.

Video cables all have to be made with something called "75 ohm coax". This is designed to match the output and input impedence of the electronics.

(Imaging making a wheelchair ramp from your porch to the sidewalk. Would you make the ramp 2 feet above or 2 feet below the level of your porch?)

Audio cables can be made with nearly any coax as they dont have the same issues.

The place that sells you your long component cable will usually sell SVideo in similar lengths.

DallasR

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've worded the question a little better. I know video cables are 75 ohm and audio may not necessarily be, but I was specifically wondering about the cables for less brand 5 conductor set. It doesn't really say on the web site and was also curious about if people would recommend that brand in general also.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Cables for Less is a great place for computer cables. But the "Python" brand cables they carry would be decent for a standard-video system, I am not sure I would use them for a larger display or HD video.

The "Python" brand cables appear well built. But they are sold by the case to CATV companies as 'pack-in' cables for HDTV converter box's. (I got a set when I had a HDTV box installed). There is no good technical information about them so it is hard to say how they stack up against other cables.

The trick with component cables is ... component video is a 1940's standard. Progressive video is 4 times this frequency and HD video nearly 10 times. Yet they all look alike.

If you were just going to run the cables across the room, or even exposed up a wall to a projector - the CablesForLess would be a interesting experiment. The price is very good.

But if you were going to install the cables behind your sheetrock - well, your labor will swamp the cost of any cable. I'd rather see you get a true HD Rated cable for this type of install.

Does this make sense?

My "Python" cables? Sitting in a box with misc Monster, AR Pro and Radio Shack cables. My system is wired with a set of Canare cables similar to those sold by BlueJeansCables.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Rather than snip cables they make adapters that take 2 RCAs and convert it to 'S.' So if you get 2 component cables, you can use one for component and the other for 'S' and composite. This what a 2 RCA to video adapter looks like:

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=10 01120&cid=&kwd=&l=&p=

Product Details
Part Number: 10-01120

Product Description:
S-VIDEO /RCA BREAKOUT ADAPTER (1 PAIR)

I might even have an extra one or 2 laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks