What's new

Cables for DVD to Big TV (Component) (1 Viewer)

JimP

Auditioning
Hi folks,

I searched through the threads and just got more confused, so I thought I'd post my own question. I'm connecting my birthday present from my wife, a Panasonic RP-56 DVD player to my Mitsubishi 55" widescreen HDTV upgradeable TV. The major reason for my asking for this, is to get progressive scan capability, my previous DVD player doesn't even have compoent outs, so I really am looking for the best picture I can get.

That said, I have easy access to the "Best Buy" Acoustic Research cables ($30/6ft), Monster Video 2 ($70/2m), and Monster Video 3 ($90/2m). My other thought is to get a set from bettercables.com but theirs are ($120/2m).

I've kinda discounted the AR cables. Partially because the 6ft length is a hair too short, while 2m should be enough, and partially because I just can't see hooking up cheap cables here.

So, I guess my question is, is the bettercables.com solution, for $120, superior to the other two Monster choices I have for the 2m run?

Thanks in advance!

...JimP

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can also look at http://www.milestek.com/. They can actually make them for you and are reasonable. You can also look at www.markertek.com or www.haveinc.com both of which are Canare dealers. Their RG-6 Component cable is likely as good as most anything out their for Video. Have Inc. has a $75 minimum which I would guess would be somewhere in the ball park for a 6 or 7 ft. length. You may also want to do a search for Chris White's home page and the link to Kustom Cables which is also for the same stuff. With the Canare stuff you get the performance you are looking for without the marketing hype.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I would seriously consider the Zu component cable called the Megular. www.zucable.com
Easily, the finest video cable I have used (vs Monster Silver @$200/2m and the BetterCables older Ultra @$99/2m).
The Zu is heads over these two. It list for $180/2m on their site, but look for it at the audiogon auction, as I picked mine up for considerably less. The Zu Birth power cord and the Megular combo have just done wonders for my DVD player.
BOK

Mark Rich

Second Unit
If your budget runs to the price of the Zhu cables I'd go with the Rhino performance or Premium cable. Boldercables sells a component cable that is the same as the Rhino cable.
These cables use Telfon insulation which I dont think the Zhu does.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I second the Rhino Cables recommendation. They really are great cables for the $$$. You will not find a better made cable anywhere. I looked into going the do-it-yourself route, but decided against it when I saw Rhino's materials and prices. I ordered a set of their component-standard cables and a digital coax cable last month, and was happy enough with them to sell off of the rest of my cables and order Rhino replacements for them earlier this week.
Disclaimer: This isn't an add, I don't work for Rhino!
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks