What's new

Cables, Connections & Questions (1 Viewer)

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
My room is in the basement along a solid brick wall. The washer, dryer and furnace are down here, but they're in another room. I also believe they're on their on circuit. I don't know how to tell if I have radio interference.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
My brother just got a closeout JVC HTB, and the sub cable they supplied him with was really thin(if it was any thinner I could floss with it).

In reality a RCA audio cable would work but is real thin on the insulation.

So go with the 75 ohm Video cable or the RG-6. I recommend the Video cable because you can run down to Radio Shack and pick one up cheap, plug it in and your in business.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Steve,

It sounds like you'll be alright with any of the options. Go on down to radioshack and pick up the 15-1519 6ft RCA cable. Save the money first. If you don't like the result you can exchange it. No harm no foul.

Dan Hine

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Steve, it sounds like you will not have any power sources to worry about so just get the 6' Video cable and you'll be set.

The Sony has 2 line level inputs right? Does this sub have a LFE switch, or specify which RCA input to use for single cable LFE?

If not you may want to get a splitter so you can plug into both sides. Subs without LFE pass will see up to a 3db increase in volume by utilizing both sides.Or so I've read.

BTW, subs with LFE pass, bypass the subs own crossover and uses the receiver/DVD movie to dictate crossover points( recommended if possible).

If your sub does not have the LFE bypass, then set your crossover adjustment at it's max (150db).

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
The sub only has one line in and one line out. The crossover goes from 50-170hz. I don't think it has LFE.

I really appreciate the help everyone has given me. I can't wait go get this project started. I have all the stuff I need ready to order except the optical cable.

BTW, can I use those 6 foot Radio Shack cables for audio and video or just video?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Steve, you can use the Video cables for both video and audio,but I would use the RCA's made for audio because they are mated together and color coded for L&R, and they are cheaper. But you can go Radio Shack gold series for everything, the gold series line has both audio and video cables.

Ok, your sub has only 1 input, good, just set your crossover at 170db and let the receiver/DVD LFE track do the work!

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to order an optical cable from the place I'm buying the Speaker King wire from. I'm just going to get 2 or 3 of those Gold Series single RCA cables from Radio Shack, along with that coax cable and adapters that was mentioned earlier. I won't need any RCA cables for any audio connections.

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, it's time to order. Here's what I've got listed so far:
12' coax cable (audio) x 1 (sub)
6' coax cable (video) x 1 (digital cable to tv)
F to RCA adapter x 2 (sub)
100' 12ga speaker wire x 1 (speakers)
6' optical cable x 1 (dvd to rec)
5' RCA gold patch l/r x 2 (*)
* 1 RCA for DVD to rec (video), 2 RCAs for digital cable box to rec (audio), 1 RCA for rec to TV (video)
Here's the receiver:
http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-BcF...507&display=XL
My TV has an RCA and a coax input.
If you've made it this far and understand everything about, does it sound like I have everything? :)
I think I have all of the stuff I need other than connectors for the speaker wire to the receiver. What are some good types of connectors to get?

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I should have all of my stuff here in the next week. Which connections do I use for the audio in from my DVD player or digital cable? If I put the video through my receiver, which output goes to the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks