Cables, Connections & Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Gazi, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

Here's what I'm going to have:

JBL NSP-1

Kenwood VR-507

Sony SA-WM40

Panasonic RV-31K

What I need to figure out is what cables I'll need. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need a mono RCA for the sub, another mono RCA from the DVD player to my TV (composite), and a set of RCAs for the audio from my DVD player to the receiver. Unless there's another way I'm supposed to wire this up?

I see there is a subwoofer connection and a pre-amp subwoofer connection on the VR-507. Does the subwoofer connection from my DVD player to to the pre-amp, then the subwoofer connection go to the sub?

How high should my surround speakers be mounted? I'm not sure where I'm supposed to put these.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Steve,

Don’t make us search each manufacturer’s web sight trying to figure out what is what. Please tell us which is TV, which is receiver, which is 8-track, etc. It will be much easier for us to help you.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Steve Gazi

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Steve,

5. Steve Gazi

OK, that makes sense. Do you have any recommendation for some decent cables that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm going to use Sound King wire to wire up all the speakers. I need a a single sub RCA, a single video RCA, and 2 optical cables, one audio and one video. I would use 2 for that, right? I may also need another video RCA for a VCR if I was going to hook it up.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Steve,
    Personally, I would stop by either Radioshack or Bestbuy. Radioshack's gold series and Acoustic Research cables from Bestbuy. I do believe that having big time high quality cable helps, but only when you have gear that is a cut above the rest. I do not. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For the DVD player you will only need ONE optical cable and ONE RCA cable. The optical cable only passes audio.
    For the subwoofer cable, if you need a long length many of us have found that using RG-6 cable with F-to-RCA adapters work well and are inexpensive.
    Anything else? [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

7. Steve Gazi

OK, let's see if what I found will work.
    For the optical cable:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=803
    You say just one RCA for video. I don't need to use the component ones? Probably wouldn't make much of a difference on my cheap TV.
    For the audio cables:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=783&scat=803
    Do you know if these come together or if they're seperated when you buy them? I don't see any single cables.
    The only subwoofer cable I see is the Monster Cable one for $40. I think it's about 12 feet (4 meters)?

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

If your DVD player has both optical and digital coax, you can get a 75 ohm Video RCA cable and use that as your digital connection(3.99 WalMart). I prefer Coax digital over optical, for no particular reason other than Coax is a little sturdier.

Also you can use a length of 75 ohm Video RCA cable for your subwoofer connection also.

*EDIT* Ok I see the DVD player does not have coax, no problem, use optical. You can get an optical cable almost anywhere, WalMart, BB, Target, etc. usually less than $20

For the Video composite cable for your TV I would use the Radio Shack gold series.

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Steve,
    Tell me exactly what you are going to hook up. EVERYTHING! [​IMG] I will just create a color coded diagram and send it to you. Cool?
    Dan Hine

10. Steve Gazi

I'm hooking up the stuff from the top of this post. I know pretty much how to hook everything up. I'm going to use an optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver. I'll need an RCA from the video from the DVD player to the receiver and another one for the receiver to the TV. I'll need another RCA for the subwoofer. I'm trying to figure out which cables (brand, item #, etc) I need to buy so I can order them soon so I'll have them ready. I'm looking for an affordable solution.

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Steve,

I didn't mean to doubt you. It's just that when you asked about using component cables for a TV that you said only had composite, I started to wonder....

The cables you've chosen in the links provided should work just fine. Just get the correct number and the correct lengths and you should be all set. Hope it all works out for you.

Dan Hine

12. Steve Gazi

I didn't mean to sound like I fel tyou were doubting me. I just wanted you to know what area I'm having the most trouble in. [​IMG] I didn't think the component cables from the DVD player to the receiver would make any difference in the final outcome, but mentioned it just in case. What about the sub cable? Do I really need a $40 cable just for subs?

13. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

14. Steve Gazi

I don't think I'll need one longer than 6ft. If I did, would I buy the exact same thing, but longer? Do you happen to have links for the RCA cables from Radio Shack? I can't find optical cables there.

15. Sean Conklin

Why not just use a 6ft. 75 ohm Video cable(composite) for your subwoofer?

16. Steve Gazi

I don't know, that's the problem. [​IMG]
    How do I tell if it's 75ohm? Do they normally come in connected pairs or are they 2 seperate cables when you get them?

17. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Sean,

I use the RG-6 b/c I need to run the cable through some mess to get to the subwoofer and like the added shielding. But you are correct, a Composite cable would work fine.

Steve,

If you don't need more than 6feet and shielding isn't much of a problem for you (it really isn't for most, I'm just paranoid) then check out part number 15-1519. It is just a single RCA cable that is 6ft for $5.99. I should work fine.

Dan Hine

18. Steve Gazi

What would be the biggest reason for needing shielded cables? That cable is exactly what I need, though.

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

If your area is prone to radio interference or if you run your cables near large electrical sources/power conduits.
    I once lived near a man who was a big amateur radio buff. I could always tell when he was at it! [​IMG]
    Like I said, I think most people need not worry.
    Dan Hine

20. Sean Conklin

Steve, I actually use a Monster Sub cable.

But all it is is a 75 ohm Video RCA cable with real thick insulation.

You only need heavy insulation if there is a power source nearby, noise could possibly seep into the cable(unlikely)

I happened to get my 10' sub cable cheap, if I was in the market for one I would check out the part no's Dan posted.

And if you look for a Video cable, it should say right on the package that it's 75 ohms.

But RG-6(coax) with the composite ends is a good way to go too. Just a little more complicated and probably unnecessary for your 6' application.