Cables: coax or twisted pair clarification

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-N, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hi guys,

I just wanted to confirm what I think I have heard embedded in a few threads. I did a search on cables but couldn't find what I was looking for.

The question is: what type of cables do you use to connect audio out (pre/pro to your amp) and video out (DVD to pre/pro/TV).

I think that for your video out, you should use a quality s-video or coax type cable (composite?) w/RCA jacks.

So does that mean you should use twisted pair cable w/RCA jacks for your audio connection? I don't recall anyone recommending coax for analog audio connections (although for digital audio, yes).

Thanks for the confirm and I hope this doesn't start a wire war.

Bob

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This should not be too controversial.

Video connections require a 75 ohm cable to properly transfer the signal. I think you can only get this with coax.

Audio connections CAN be done with twisted-pair interconnects. But it's less conventional than coaxial audio interconnects. The twisted-pair is a different way of preventing interference and I dont think it's as good as the shielded coax.

My suggestion would be to stick with coaxial interconnects.

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Thanks Bob. What I was trying to ultimately determine if I could splurge on Canare components and DIY. Keeping all things coax would push me to go ahead and invest in the Canare tools to make custom lengths and cool looking cables.

If I go to twisted pair, then I would only be making one or two cables and probably buying the twisted pair for the audio cables.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, Women have their shoes, men have their tools. Even if you only ever use it once, it's cool to have the tools. (Half the fun of this hobby is playing around with things. Cable building is a part of it.)