Cable with RCA end and XLR end possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin P, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I'm just wondering if it's possible to create a cable with an unbalanced (RCA) connector on one end and a balanced (XLR) connector on the other, and have it work properly.

I'm using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro as an equalizer for my sub. I'm currently using RCA-to-1/4 inch cables, but I find the 1/4 inch plugs don't always work real well. Plus I have a ground loop which causes a hum unless I use a cheater plug on the BFD. I was wondering if a cable with a RCA on one end and an XLR on the other end would work well in this application.

Would tying the - and the ground on the XLR side work, or just leave the ground pin open? Or am I completely crazy for thinking of doing such a thing?

Thanks!

KJP

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

No, that will totally work. Any time you want balanced connector on one end, and unbalanced on the other, you "tie low to ground."

So, on the XLR end, you'll have pin 3 and pin 1 tied together, which will correspond to the sleeve at the RCA end. Pin 2 (hot) will go straight to the tip at the RCA end. Hope that makes sense.

You don't want to leave anything open, otherwise you could lose some signal.

As for the ground loop, changing to this cable is not going to help that, I'm afraid.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Its been a long time, but you can go low to high but not high to low???????????????????
    I may have that reversed???????????? Like I said its been a while.
    That is a good trick to remember and I did not. I think its low impedance to high. We use to take low mikes on trips for everything. The portable amp were all high, but with XLR inputs.
    A speaker makes a great microphone too.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Thanks!
    I suppose I could try it both ways, ground tied to low and ground open, and see which way works better in my setup.
    Earl, I think he's referring to "high" and "low" meaning the two conductors that carry the signal, not impedance. Impedance matching is only an issue with mic inputs, not line level signals like I'm dealing with... I think. [​IMG]
    KJP

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I just thought I would throw that in. But be sure to check your manual on the impedance issue, just to be safe. Most commercial pre amps are low with some labelled as high.
    But I guess that is all a moot point, since you are going to high anyway. OK// I will butt out! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a couple of rca to xlr cables over on mcmelectronics.com - planning to get a couple for my behringer too. If you need toslink cables, check them out while you are there, the best prices on the net and the cables are high quality too.