Cable/wiring for long video runs

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Patrick.C, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

I would like to run a small television in another room out of my receiver's "monitor out" jack. The receiver gives me the option of running either composite or S-Video. The cable run will be about 30 ft. What sort of cable should I pick up for a run that long? I will probably run both types (composite and S-Video) since I don't know what kind of small tv I'll be running yet and want to be prepared with both since there will be no going back after drywall is up.

2. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

30' is kind of long. Personally, I would make my own composite cables. They are easy to make, and you can save a ton of $. The s video cable you will have to buy. I guess I would go with bluejean cables. Good and affordable.

Don

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

S-Video degrades quickly over longer runs so you might consider an extender (little box that boosts the signal). Alternatively if your receiving TV has a very good comb filter the composite option as suggested above will still give good results but the connection will be easier.