What's new

Cable Volume Gets TOO Loud (1 Viewer)

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where to put this question. The past few weeks my Cable audio volume on BOTH Analog and Digital get very loud on random commercials and some Premium channel movies.

Could this be my reciever (Kenwood VR-309) or Cable Digital Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 problem OR just a bad signal from Time-Warner ?

Anyone else experience something similar ?

I was going to call the Time - Warner tech support but I was wondering what you experts thought first !

Thanks !

Happy New Year ;)

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
Get used to it. Annoying? Yes. I've learned over time to instinctively reach for the mute button when shows break for commercial.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Get a TiVo or other DVR and skip the darn commercials!;)

Seriously, as the other guys said, this is unfortunately a normal condition. Each program originator sets the audio levels according to what they want, well theoretically within some pretty loose standards anyway. The movie channels issue may be a little different. Those channels are often sending a surround sound (Prologic) mix which will be decoded by the AVR. On most other channels its a stereo signal. On my setup I notice that the opposite of you -- a surround signal tends to result in a lower audio level and I have to turn it up a few dB.

Westly T

Second Unit
Problem I have is Dolby 5.1 is much quieter then 2.0, so each time it switces, the volume jumps....like at commericals or when switching channels.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It does for me, on OTA HD feeds as well....

I have not found a good way to deal with it.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto. Record your shows and watch them the next day. That way you can skip through the commercials. If you do watch a live program, just keep the remote handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks