Cable viewing on HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMc, Mar 6, 2001.

1. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I will be buying an HDTV in the next couple of weeks, got my choices down to two: Toshiba 56H80 or Pioneer Sd532HD5. I will probably be doing 50/50 viewing between DVD and regular broadcast/Cable. Anyone have experience with how regular cable looks on these sets? I was worried about stretching my 4:3 picture, but i'll probably get used to it, what i won't be able to get used to is crappy picture off a normally good cable signal.
    Crash

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately you won't know until you get it hooked up. A big set will magnify any of the input's deficiencies, and cable has a lot of them. My own situation with a 46" Mitsubishi is that I almost never watch cable anymore. I put an antenna in the attic (to get OTA HD) and found I got great reception on most of the standard stations, and I have DirecTV for all the "cable" stuff. The only cable I watch now are two OTA signals I can't get with my attic antenna. If you have a good cable signal (mine has been awful since I got it 15 years ago), you may do better.
    The good news is that everything else should look great.
    SMK

3. Matt_W

Matt_W Auditioning

It really depends on your cable signal strength. I am fortunate mine is strong and cable is on par with an average dvd transfer.
    In regards to stretching - after 20 minutes of full screen glory you'll wonder why they even bothered including the 4:3 mode with gray bars.

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

My cable on my 65H80 is clearly the worst source that I have. But I currently rent this house and I am not putting anything on a roof that is not mine. It is ok to watch for the most part. Anything I watch on cable is not critical watching anyway: news, sports, etc. Having a fair amount of HD around here and progressive scan DVD really spoils you though.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

5. Steve Landrum

Steve Landrum Auditioning

On my Toshiba 55H70 My very Basic(first 22 channels)Cable is on par with Regular VHS tape,That is to say very poor. With DVD,LaserDisc and Satalite, My reception is Great.I am hoping to install an off-air receiver to replace my basic cable very very soon.
    ------------------

6. BryanK

BryanK Stunt Coordinator

IAM ALSO GETTING READY TO BUY HDTV THIS WEEKEND!! CANT WAIT [​IMG] KP-53HS10
    HOWEVER I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM (CABLE ONLY)I HAD DISHNET. OUT HERE, AND I HAVE A PERFECT SHOT AT BOTH SAT'S,HOWEVER THE LANDLORD SAYS NO, SO HOW ABOUT USEING A CABLE SIGNAL BOOSTER, DO THEY WORK OR JUST AMPLIFIY ALL THE STATIC AS WELL?
    OF CORSE THE OTHER OPTION IS TO GET ON THE ROOF MYSELF... I DONT THINK ANYONE WILL SEE AN EXTRA LINE RUNNING ALONG SIDE OF THE CABLE?
    THEN AGAIN THERES ALWAYS MOVING!!!!!!!!!!
    BRYAN
    ------------------

7. Ray R

Ray R Stunt Coordinator

I think that your landlord doesn't have any say on this issue. If I remember correctly, there was some legislation passed that deals with this. Others here might have more information.
    As for the cable booster, they work great if the problem is a weak signal, but won't do anything for noisy cable reception.

8. Frank_K

Frank_K Auditioning

How would one identify a noisy cable signal vs. a weak one?
    Graininess is a symptom of which problem?
    In terms of using a video amplifier, could one use it where the cable is ready to go to the TV, or would it be preferable to patch it in as early on in the signal line as possible (like where the cable initially enters the house)?
    Thanks
    Frank

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

10. Brucev

Brucev Auditioning

Steve:
    I have the Pioneer you are looking at and also have Digital Cable. The picture is just fine. Not as good as DVD, but not as bad as some others here. Some channels are better then others though. The Big 4 are good. So are the "pay" channels (HBO, CMAX, Showtime, etc). But some of the lesser cable channels are just bearable. One of the best is a local feed by the cable Co. They own 2 sports teams here in the Philly area and also have their own sports channel. The feed on this channel is always solid and vivid. A lot will depend on your local cable Co. I am lucky to have one of the better ones.
    ------------------
    Bruce B Vernon
    [email protected]

11. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I just looked at a recent re-wording modification of the FCC policy regarding antennas and dishes on rental or condo property...
    Although I certainly wouldn't believe that I could interpret the FCC guidelines, it looks like unless it's a safety or historic preservation issue, the landlord can't absolutely prohibit a dish on a roof...
    They can restrict location, as long as you can still receive an usable signal. My HOA has stated that any dishes must be in the back of the units, on a pole in the ground, etc... But what if the back of your unit doesn't face the satellites? Then the restriction is void, the FCC says you must have access to the signal...
    Sticky situation... many cases go to court.
    ------------------

12. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

13. Dan Melo

Dan Melo Auditioning

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND THIS LEGISLATION (I TRIED FCC.GOV BUT CAME ACCROSS NOTHING) THAT SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS LANDLORDS FROM NOT ALLOWING RENTERS TO HAVE SATELLITE DISHES?
    PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

14. RyanMM

RyanMM Extra

BruceV
    I just bought a house in Burlington Twp. so I guess I will be in the same boat as you, if I decide to go the cable tv route. I am looking at getting Mits HDTV & was wondering what the cable signal was like.
    Ryan