Cable Type for Coax: Digital Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Prue, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

I thought that the only digital audio connection I had was optical (from DVD player), but today discovered what looks like a female RCA on the back of my Explorer 2000 digital cable box.

It looks the same as the coax digital audio inputs on the Harman-Kardon 520. Does 5 channles of digital audio actually use an RCA cable?

If not, what is the cable type? I just tried an RCA male-male. It "fits" but does not work.

2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Randy,

Digital audio can be sent over a 75ohm coaxial cable (essentially a video cable) with RCA connectors. Try and use a decent one , if you can. As to why no audio, are you sure your cable box can receive it? Perhaps there's a menu setting or something to activate Dolby Digitla 5.1 output. Hope this helps.

-Christian

3. Randy Prue

4. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I have Time-Warner cable & the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 cable box allong with suscribing to digital cable. I have a digital coax cable connected from the digital out on the box to my Yamaha receiver. The only channels I get in digital are channels 100 on up & only a select few of these actually come in as Dobly Digital. When I switch to most of them my Yamaha receiver says its receiving a digital signal, but it stays in Pro-logic mode-it only switches to Dolby Digital on a few channels(mostly some HBO channels & only certain shows(newer movies-like Castaway last night))

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

That digital connection can carry a mono sound (1.0), Stereo (2.0) .... all the way to 5.1.

Just becauses it's Dolby Digital does not imply 6 channels of sound.

6. Patrick T

Patrick T Auditioning

Hi Randy,

I just tried this out last night. I also have an

Explorer 2000 (Videotron digital cable).

I don't know if normal audio RCA cables would work, but I

already have bought a Digital Coax cable for my DVD audio.

It's certainly sold as a different cable than normal RCA.

It's quite thicker also.

So I unplugged that cable from my DVD digital out and

plugged it into the Explorer 2000 Digital Audio OUT.

It's also set to Digital Audio: Dolby Digital in the menu.

Since the other side of the cable was still plugged in to

my receiver as the DVD IN, I set my receiver to DVD and

it played the audio from the cable decoder.

Let me try again and investigate the stream a little more

(...cable shuffling...)

The receiver showed the stream as PCM for most channels.

For a few channels though, the stream was Dolby Digital

(Much Music, CMT). However the receiver showed that the

input signal was only 2 channels (not 5 channels like

when playing a DVD with DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1).

I have the movie channels SE 1-4, one of the movies was

playing in Dolby Digital (2 channels) and the 3 others

were PCM.

Now that you've made me do all these experiments, I found

out that I have to go buy another Digital Coax for my

cable decoder... Thanks! :^)

(note: Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1200)

Patrick

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Subscribing to "digital cable" does not necessairly mean that the cable box has access to digitally encoded sound. In my locality, all "digital" cable gets you is better menu controls. The pic and sound are still strtictly analog.

8. Randy Prue

Wow!

So, it turns out that a "regular" RCA male-male pair doesn't work. I went out and picked up a coax digital cable today (seems Patrick will be doing that soon, if he hasn't already). What a difference in the sound, and on all channels!

I'm also using Videotron cable (like there are too many alternatives).

Like Patrick said, Much Music and the pay movie channels come in Dolby Digital. The Harman-Kardon delivers surround. When there's a 2-channel source (some channels), ProLogic-II kicks in and the sound is also INCREDIBLE.

Regardless of what the broadcastng station delivers, the sound out of the 5.1 via the H-K is WAY better than it ever was.

Thanks to everyone!

Patrick: I sent you a private message on here, but I have no idea how to receive a msg. if you replied. I can't find an e-mail option. I'll poke around the FAQ.

I have some questions about your Yamaha V1200.

9. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I have to have both the digital out & the L&R stereo outs connected to my stereo to get sound on every channel. If I just use the coaxial out I only get sound on my cable companies "digital" channels which is channel 100 on up. I need the L&R stereo outs connected in order to get audio with the channels 2 to 99.

10. Randy Prue

Ted:

That's interesting. It seems to work differently here, because the AC-3 out (becomes Coax in on the AVR) delivers sound on all channels. It the broadcast is Dolby, it delivers Dolby Digital (auto-sense digital on AVR). When I hit an analogue channel, it goes to whatever I last set the AVR to for the cable input (stereo, ProLogic-II, etc.).

When I record to VCR from digital cable, the analogue bypass signal goes to TV on RF Co-ax, and the TV sends analogue output audio to the AVR on another video channel, which is set to analogue.

So, I can always listen to whatever I want (what's being taped, what's on the bypass, or on a VHS tape) ... using two of the video inputs on the AVR.

I wouldn't want to have someone try to sort it out (house guest, etc.), without specific instructions, though. Right now, there's no way to get sound from the TV's built-in speakers... uh, oh.