Cable TV Signal Booster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Jaeger, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Tim Jaeger

Tim Jaeger Auditioning

Hi everyone:

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm glad I found it!

I have Cable TV, and over the years I've split the signal to send it to three different televisions in the house. Just recently, on one of the TVs channels 2 through 6 have become very snowy, ghosting, etc. It's only happening on one of the TVs though, the other two seem to be fine. Can anyone help with my problem, and would a signal booster help? If a booster would help, any suggestions on what kind to get? Thanks a lot!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

HI Tim. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    I dont think you need a booster. You could have 2 different issues:
    1) Your wires are loose/corroded. Trace your wire into your house. Un-screw every connection and examine the center copper wire. Is it bright/shiny copper or a dull brown? I might be a good idea to cut the ends off a few inches and install new connectors with fresh/clean copper showing. Be sure to tighten all connectors with a wrench, about 1/4 turn. (A loose connector is the number one cause of problems/service calls with the CATV system).
    2) The signal is having problems up-stream. Once you have checked/replaced your connectors and the problem remains, call your CATV company for a service call. They will come out and test the signal strength on several channels and trace the problem. This could be a poor amplifier on a pole near your house, or in my case once, a tree-rodent had been chewing on a jumper wire on top of the pole. This cause noise/snow on some channels, but not on others.
    Hope this helps.

3. Tim Jaeger

Tim Jaeger Auditioning

Thanks for the advice, Bob! I'll give it a try.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Bob, that's just on one TV, though!
    Yes, make sure that the connectors are all tight, but a cable could have gone bad, too. If you can swap cables and it goes away, the cable is the problem.

If you have to buy a new cable, get an RG-6, rather than an RG-59. The 6's have a better signal strengh.

Glenn

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Tim,

Welcome to HTF.

I've heard rumors of better quality splitters (from Monster and others)--you might wish to look into this. Perhaps the splitters themselves could also be improved inexpensively.

Regards,

Mike

6. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

A squirrel might've eaten your cable up at the pole. It happened to me.