What's new

Cable TV Productions on DVD (1 Viewer)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Does anyone remember:
--the 1983 Showtime version of "The Hasty Heart" with Gregory Harrison,Cheryl Ladd and Perry King
--the 1982 Showtime TV movie-"Falcon's Gold" (aka "Robbers of the Sacred Mountain") with Simon MacCorkindale
--and the 2001 series "Leap Years" ?
Who,for each one of these, could or would put these out on DVD? Who owns each one of these productions?

Also who owns the short-lived series:
--The Quest 1982 (with Perry King,Noah Berry Jr, Ray Vitte,Karen Austin-(I know this was a Stephen J Cannell production) and
--Gavilan 1982 with Robert Urich ?

I'd like to get all these on DVD

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
My guess is that if anyone were interested in picking them up it would be one of the budget companies but if there were enough of a market for them they would be on DVD by now. I don't personally know any of the shows you've cited.

There are some good old TV DVD releases, though; a couple of my favourites are Automan which only ran for 13 episodes and the East of Eden mini-series (which is a much more accurate adaptation of the Steinbeck novel than the James Dean star vehicle). The 60s Batman TV series was tied up with legal issues for years before Warner finally released it on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2014.

You might also have some luck if you keep an eye on the TV channels that focus on old TV shows.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone remember:
--the 1983 Showtime version of "The Hasty Heart" with Gregory Harrison,Cheryl Ladd and Perry King
--the 1982 Showtime TV movie-"Falcon's Gold" (aka "Robbers of the Sacred Mountain") with Simon MacCorkindale
--and the 2001 series "Leap Years" ?
Who,for each one of these, could or would put these out on DVD? Who owns each one of these productions?

Also who owns the short-lived series:
--The Quest 1982 (with Perry King,Noah Berry Jr, Ray Vitte,Karen Austin-(I know this was a Stephen J Cannell production) and
--Gavilan 1982 with Robert Urich ?

I'd like to get all these on DVD

I remember "Falcon's Gold" (aka "Robbers of the Sacred Mountain") with Simon MacCorkindale, but I don't have a copy and I have no idea who owns it.

Ownership of The Quest remains with Cannell Entertainment, I think I have almost all of the episodes..

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I have bootlegs of these shows but I want to get them all in good print on official DVDs.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I have bootlegs of these shows but I want to get them all in good print on official DVDs.

Sadly I doubt if we will ever see The Quest. Cannell was the biggest champion of getting his shows released, and with him passing away several years ago not much has been done with the series his company owns. Most of his shows from the 1980's have already been released on DVD, except for I think 6 from that 1980 to 1990 time period.

In 2014 Cinedigm Corp bought the rights to several of Cannell's series, but all have been released previously. I would have rather seen his catalog mined for things that have never been released. Or better yet, blu ray releases.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The one cable movie I've wanted on blu-ray or even a DVD is the HBO baseball movie from 1987 Long Gone. This was a fantastic sports movie that really to me was a wonderful companion to Bull Durham.

I don't hold out much hope it will ever show up though sadly.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I know the 1982 HBO version of Neil Simon's Barefoot in the Park should get a DVD release, whether on its own or as a bonus feature on the Barefoot in the Park (1970) TV series DVD, if ever that comes to fruition via either CBS MOD or VEI.

~Ben

Last edited:

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Does Warner own the MGM television library of shows from the early 80's or did MGM give ownership to Fox (I hope not considering the Disney connection). I think Warner owns some of the MGM television shows now--I don't know which ones. I was hoping Warner could release the MGM/Mandy production Gavilan (1982) on DVD--even though it's only 13 episodes.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would like to see an all single side release of silk Stalkings. The first 5 seasons were released by Anchor Bay and anchor bay no longer exists. The rights were picked up by mill creek who released season 1 and 6-8. It is currently available in streaming via Hulu

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that the early Showtime sitcom Brothers has yet to see a home video release! As for HBO, where are the season sets for Arliss and the entire run of Dream On? Also, why no DVD release for its late night documentary series Real Sex?

Over the years Playboy TV (formerly the Playboy Channel) has had original programming like 7 Lives Xposed (an R-rated parody of a reality show that ran for several seasons) and Sex Court (a softcore spoof of court shows hosted by Julie Strain as "Judge Julie") and yet these programs have never been put on DVD.

And of course Disney shows like Good Luck Charlie.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was hoping Warner could release the MGM/Mandy production Gavilan (1982) on DVD--even though it's only 13 episodes.

And I'm still hoping that CBS (or VEI) can release the CBS comedy called The Cavanaughs (Mandy Films/Paramount Television) on DVD (all 26 episodes in two seasons' worth).

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Does anyone know who owns the MGM television library for their early 80's shows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks