Cable tv hook up

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by stevie ray, Feb 21, 2005.

1. stevie ray

stevie ray Auditioning

While waiting for the new receiver and speakers to arrive today I was looking at the Best Buy Home Theater connection guide and was wondering..Right now I have my cable tv connected to a power center then to an older vcr then tv by composite cable. In the diagram it shows a 2 ghz splitter with one cable going to the vcr and one going directly to hdtv. My question is having a new Sony analog 27 inch tv will this direct connection deliver a better picture by- passing the composite input? Also, will the 2ghz splitter work with the analog tv? Thanx Stevie

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chances are you will notice slim-to-no difference.

Either direct or through the vcr your television will have to process the composite video. The picture quality largely depends on how good your comb filter is.

In general - a direct connection involves fewer breaks/chances for something to harm the video signal. (including loose connections).

If you have a choice, I would run your CATV feed straight to the TV, and the VCR feed into a separate input. This involves a little more remote work, but it is your better hookup.

Yes, a 2 Ghz splitter will work with analog TV. The extra band-width is so the splitter can work with cable modems or HD CATV signals without messing them up.

Hope this helps.

3. stevie ray

stevie ray Auditioning

Thanx for the quick reply. One more maybe stupid question,On that same setup chart they show the sub being plugged into a separate power center of its' own. Is this necessary or can I just plug it in the cd or tape outlet which won't be used? UPS delivery of my new stuff is for today but it's already 3:30[​IMG] Can you tell this is my first system?[​IMG] Stevie