Cable TV and Sony SXRD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JimP, Jan 25, 2006.

1. JimP

JimP Auditioning

I just bought a new 50" Sony SXRD set to replace my aging 55" Mitsu CRT RP. Holy Crap, this thing looks amazing, but I do have a bit of a dilemma.

I have a Sci Atl HD DVR box as my cable TV source connected via an HDMI cable. I initially had the cable box set up to pass through, so a 480i goes as 480i, 720p as 720p, etc.. However, the set looks horrible on the 480i sources (regular tv channels). However, I tried one of the upconvert modes in the cable box (480i/480p = 480p) and the regular channels look fine, good even.

However, there are two upconvert modes, both do the 480i/480p = 480p. One does 720p/1080i = 720p, the other does 720p/1080i = 1080i.

I have it set up to 720p, but I wonder if I'm choosing the right upconvert, or if it's a good idea to let the cable box handle this. There isn't a setting that will do the 480i/480p = 480p and leave the HD outputs alone...

Also, I would assume that the set is upconverting 480i into something else (1080p in this set), but is doing a horrific job on what comes out of the cable box. I did try regular component cables, but that actually looked worse in some cases than the HDMI.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I watch enough of the regular channels that leaving the 480i input to the TV is unacceptable...

Otherwise, I watched Into the Blue on this set the other night and was just blown away, and I haven't even had time to calibrate it yet... Really couldn't be happier, plus it was on sale!

Thx,

2. John S

John S Producer

1080p display? I'd surely feed it 1080i? Actually I'd try them all and decide which looked best.

Interesting the display did not handle the 480i via component very well for you though. Blessed be the external scaling for sure in this case!!!

3. David Gotwals

David Gotwals Auditioning

JimP,
    I am looking into this TV for purchase in the near future. From what I understand, the TV will only upconvert a signal from the HDMI cable, and not the component.

A salesman told me that the non-HD channels look bad when they are analog, but better when digital. I am assuming you have digital cable. Most systems offer the analog channels (Fox 2,NBC 4, ABC 7....) and digital (Fox 202, NBC 204, ABC 207...). Have you tried these upper channels? I am interested in what you find out.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Is the upconverting being handled by the Sony? If it is and it looks good at 720 why not just use that?

I have an HTPC that I output everything that comes into it from regular cable to DVD through HDMI to my RPTV Mits and it upconverts it to 720p for me.

I have found that most RPTV units whether they are DLP, LCD or LCoS have a tendency to look pretty poor with SDTV. They all handle higher definition signals great but start putting in something like standard cable and they look like crap. Most of the newer RPTVs will upscale whatever you put into it to its native resolution for you thus making the picture look good.

5. JimP

JimP Auditioning

The HD box is connected via HDMI.

In pass through mode, the cable box is sending 480i to the Sony via the HDMI cable. I assumed this is being upconverted to the TV's native resolution. Looked horrible on regular analog cable TV signals (like TBS, Sci-Fi, etc..)

BUT, when I force the cable box to upconvert 480i signals to 480p first, then to the TV, the TV upconverts to it's native resolution MUCH better... I guess I assume that this fancy set would do upconversion better than the cable box, but I guess it's probably some scalers just battling it out.

I watch the networks in HD.

RIght now, I have the cable box set to send 480i and 480p as 480 and 720p/1080i as 1080i. TV looks great all the time, so I guess that's the way to go.

6. John S

John S Producer

Glad you found an acceptable solution.

These modern displays are definetly no longer a just hook em up and your golden proposition any more.

Often takes quite a bit of connection and resolution feeding combo experiementation to figure out what works best.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, I have the 50" SXRD and an SD digital cable box hooked up through SVideo. Not bad, but not fantastic either. Definitely watchable for the few things I actually watch on a regular basis.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Yeah they are definitely more source dependent. With their fixed panels they will give your their best picture at resolutions close or greater than their native resolution. Anything less is going to look like crap unless you have a really good internal or external scaler.

I look forward to the newer SED, OLED, etc. monitors that are transmisive (like a CRT) as opposed to reflective in nature.

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I'm using a DVDO iScan VP-30 external scaler with my HP MD5880n 1080p DLP set and SD looks as good as it's going to get. Granted, the fact that I scale everything externally to 1080p (my set accepts 1080p native input) helps but the real problem here is that once you see HD on any of these great looking sets SD is going to look bad by comparison. If you didn't have HD to compare it to SD would probably look more bearable.

As others have said, try out the various options and choose the one that is most pleasing to you for SD. Just remember that HD has spoiled you. [​IMG]