What's new

Cable TV and Denon AVR-486 (1 Viewer)

SilverRush

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
My parents just bought a condo and it came with the nice HT system. The receiver is a Denon AVR-486. They have Comcast cable tv. Since there is construction going on with new condo around them they keep losing their signal strength on the digital box from Comcast. Comcast will come out but it could be days before they show up. Meanwhile when the signal is too weak the Comcast digital box will not work correctly. I can receive cable if I wire around the Comcast box on other tv sets in the Condo.

I can't figure out how to wire around the Comcast digital box with the Denon AVR-486. I am a novice at this. The back of the unit doesn't have any specific co-axial input for a direct connect of the cable. The only coaxial I can really see maybe the antenna. On the other tv I went around I plugged the cable directly into that port.

Is there a way I can go directly with the cable wire into the Denon AVR-486? My Dad would really appreciate it.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The cable box should have a audio/video output on the back. It is signified by a red, white, and yellow set of RCA jacks. The Audio is divided into two channels Left(white) and Right(red). Using a set of red and white audio cables connect the output of the cable box to one of the Denon inputs i.e. video 1, video 2, cable, or tv (It really doesn't matter which just so long as it is an input.

To connect the tv to the cable box you can use a video, s-video, or coax to make the connection depending on the television. S-video will provide you with the best quality connection, but does not have audio, video (yellow) is the second best connection and also does not carry an audio signal. Coax has the most quality loss, but does carry audio signals (in mono instead of stereo sound). Using a coax connection between the tv and cable box allows you to use the internal sound on the tv, many people do not use their stereo or surround sound with all their television programing because they might find it difficult to set up each time they watch television.

As for a receiver passing cable through coax, as far as I know they do not exist.

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks