Cable splitters?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Jun 23, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yes, this does belong here [​IMG].

Remember the last note I wrote about, with having cable modem problems? Well, we troubleshooted it and found out it was the el cheapo splitter that I have in hear that is causing the problem. We got a new one from Sears, but it dosn't work all that well either. Just a few minutes ago the cable modem lost signal, and when I plugged it in directly from the wall outlet, it worked perfectly again.

So, any recomendations for a 'fail safe' splitter will be greatly appreciated so I can get a cable TV picture AND have my cable modem working again [​IMG].

Either that, or ways to make the cable connection and VCR wireless [​IMG].

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Neil:
    I had the same problem ! I was doing a 3-way split from the incoming line, sending one of those lines upstairs, splitting it to 3 bedrooms, and splitting the line where the computer is so I could feed my cable modem and TV card in my PC.
    When the cable co. installs the modem, they make 1 split where the signal comes into the house and run a dedicated line to the modem. I've found I can get away with a 3-way split downstairs and a second 3-way split upstairs, that's it, after that, the modem becomes unreliable.
    - Get splitters that are marked as passing 5-1000Mhz ! That's what the cable co. uses. I got mine from the cablevision repair guy when I had them come and check my signal (I also had a bum wire from the pole)
    - My 3-way splitters are marked with the amount of signal that they attenuate on each leg. One leg is marked -3db and the other 2 are marked -7db. Use the -3db legs on the path to the modem.
    - Sometimes the cable co. can boost the signal going to your house. Never had this done.

Hope this helps, been there and done that. Let us know what happens !

3. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem. Cable man came out to the house and found my signal strength was weak. He traced the problem to the Radio Shack splitters I was using. He replaced them with splitters from the cable company and everything worked fine.

I later went to the cable company office and they gave me a few more splitters so that I was could replace the remaining splitters in my house.

Check with your cable company, they might give you them for free.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Run it straight from a cable outlet.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Run it straight from a cable outlet. >>

This is what may have to be done. I took the high quality splitter where the main line from the street is connected to next door, off. I put that into this 6 way connector metal tablet that is wired into the whole house.

I put the cable from the street, into the 'In' connection. I re-wired everything else, including the wire that goes to our side of the house, into the out connection. I left everything on our side of the house alone.

However, when I took the high quality splitter over to the cable modem, and hooked everything up, it STILL didn't work. I waited a few minutes for all the lights to light up, nothing. I unhooked it, put the one directly from the wall outlet in, worked perfectly.

We have an extra large wire ready...if I new how to properly wire it, I'd do it myself in a little under an hour. Heh, although that's probably not a good idea. When we brought the wire over to this side of the house through the attic, I Accidentally stepped off the hard wood and onto the soft portion with the sheeting, and my foot fell through the floor [​IMG]...

Looks like a situation to be resolved for the weekend when the parents get down..

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Cable modems generally have a pretty narrow "window of opportunity" for signal strength. Any splitter will attenuate the signal at least 3db. So, if you cannot split the signal AT ALL without experiencing dropouts, then you need to have the signal to the house boosted. You can also increase signal strength by increasing the line from RG-59 to RG-6, all the way to the outside of the house, or sometimes just breaking, cleaning, and remaking connections at all points.

Todd

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter