Cable splitters. Any advantage

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I just got Digital cable installed. From the source I'm splitting it to my Computer, TV and RPTV. Is their a difference between a 4way splitter thats rated 5/1000 and 5/2.4GHZ as far as picture quality is concerned?

Kevin

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Quality.... maybe.
    I know w/ Digital Cable you are supposed to go w/ the wider bandwidth splitter.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Kevin, if you stop by your local cable TV office, they should supply you with free cable splitters. These are usually the good heavy duty kind too.

Also, you can have your cable company guy come out and check the signal strength. They can do certain tweaks to bump up the signal strength, and while they are there, they can supply you with better splitters, better cable, etc. Again, all of this is usually free if you tell them that your signal strengh may need help.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

5. NickT

NickT Stunt Coordinator

Nick

There's no effect on picture quality between the two. The first one is a 5MHz to 1000MHz (Megahertz) splitter and is used for cable. The second is 5MHz to 2.4GHz (gigahertz) and is used for satellite.It's simply a rating of what frequencies the splitter will pass through.

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You may miss out on some channels if you use the lower bandwidth splitter on digital cable or satellite.