Cable signal problem?

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
I have a Samsung 6187 and find that, although the PQ is usually spectacular, occasionally the picture pixilates, especially in dark scenes with motion or flashing lights (concerts are a perfect example), other times grainier than usual and more on certain HD channels than others. I was told that this was a signal(strength) problem and not a problem with the TV. Would an in line amplifier help this? I have Charter cable (CT). The TV has a very long run from where it enters, by far the longest run in the house, maybe 60-80 ft. or so.
If a line amplifier is the way to go, how do I shop for one? Are there certain brands or specs I should look for?
It couldn't be the TV since the PQ is usually gret, could it

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I think the cable feed might be responsible, more so than signal strength. The pixellation could be a result of data compression applied by Charter.

mylan

Screenwriter
I'd say compression is the culprit as well. I have Charter HD with the DVR and I get white pixel blocks sometimes. Whenever I have low signal strength, the picture begans to freeze up, once from a problem at the head-end and once due to a splitter panel I have in my structured wiring box. I just disregard this as normal.

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
Thanks for the replies.
So, therefore, nothing that I can or should do?
My feeling is that if the signal isn't strong enough, Charter should make it right. My job is to pay them and their job is to provide the signal. I know that this isn't real life thnough. I checked and I see that there already is what I believe is a line amplifier from Charter. It must ahve been there for a long time because they haven't been out for a while. Are there newer and better ones? If they come out and check, chances are the signal will be good at that time.
I was thinking of switching to a satellite provider but I have spoken to people in the past who have had occasional problems with them also.
(Plus I'm lazy!)

mylan

Screenwriter
Well, yes you should call Charter and schedule a service call to ensure you are getting a good signal and they can tell you if the in-line amp is adequate and replace it if necessary. I can tell you satellite compresses their channels too so that blocking may occur with them as well, also i've seen heavy rain completely block a satellite signal before, something to think about if you are considering a change. The absolute best quality hi def is by good old over the air antenna but you would still need cable or sat for the premium stuff like HBO, Showtime, etc.

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
When I get a chance I'll do that.
I guess what I need is a HD DVD when the prices come down!
Still, the PQ usually is great

Audiophobe

Agent
Real Name
Dave Bonheim
I was told that a larger gauge cable from the street to the house (the cable is 16 years old now and a long run) would help and I know someone who will do it for me. Is this likely going to help?

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, that will work. Most older cable laid was RG-59, which has less insulation and thus, is prone to more interference than the newer RG-6.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Do you know what Cable is in the walls of the house? It the House is 15+ years old it's very possible that the cable in the walls is RG-59.

Check down in the basement or wherever your house cable is connected the cable companies demarcation point. check the writing on the cable itself. It should be labeled with white lettering. You'll see numbers and letters on the cable that tell us what is in the walls of the house.

Let us know what cable is in the house.

If you find the house is wired with RG-59 I would get a new line run with RG-6 or better to your cable box.

If the House has RG-6 and you are still having problems I will give the cable company a call and let them know your issues. At that point the cable company will run a new drop from the post to the house.

Let us know what you find.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious