1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cable Shootout: AudioQuest vs. Outlaw

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Driscoll, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

These are the results of a blind comparison between AudioQuest Coral ($89/.5m pair) and Outlaw ($30/.5m pair) audio interconnects. The equipment list: Yamaha RX-V596 receiver; Yamaha K-960 dbx cassette recorder; Carver SD/A-360 CD changer; Panasonic RP-91 DVD-A player; Paradigm Monitor 90P speakers. All tests were 2 channel stereo, no DSP effects, tone controls flat. The 3 listeners were not allowed to see which or even if I changed cables during the test. Some of the CDs were Elton John's Madman Across the Water, Tears for Fears Songs From the Big Chair, Derek and the Dominoes Layla and Other Love Songs. The DVD-A was Metallica Metallica (the Black Album). The cassettes included songs from each of the CDs.
    People, it wasn't even a contest, all listeners were able to discern the differences in every test and from all the sources. They unanimously chose the Outlaws over the Corals, without hesitation. Soundstage, imaging and clarity with the Outlaws were notably better. In comparison, the Corals sounded almost muted, as if the bass and treble controls were set to cut. ( I checked, they weren't.)
    Of course, since I made the cable changes I could not make a blind selection, but I agreed with the listeners 100%. I also tested both cables against the optical output from the SD/A-360 and the Outlaws again seemed to perform better over the optical connection, although that test was not blind and the differences were very subtle. However, the Corals again were clearly inferior. FYI, this test indicates that the DACs and circuitry in the Carver are superior to those in the Yamaha. I intend to run the same test with the RP-91 this weekend.
    Surprisingly, the assorted Monster, Radio Shack Gold and various generic cables I also tried during the test, although clearly not as good as the Outlaws or the optical connection, did in some cases seem marginally better than the Corals, although this was not unanimous (2-1).
    Some comments: I had expected to hear either no difference or for the Corals to be slightly better, I was very surprised at the outcome of the test. The Outlaw cables seem very well constructed, the locking connector is well designed and of course, the sound quality was excellent. The only drawback is that the connector diameter is a little too large and it may be necessary to spread the connectors apart slightly to turn the locking rings if the ports on the back panel of the component are close together (as most are). Also, the Outlaw RCA connectors are soldered, while I prefer crimp. Another point, they are only available in .5 and 1.8 meter lengths, they need to offer a 1m length.
    Based on the results of this test, I intend to replace all my audio interconnects with Outlaw cables. It looks like Outlaw has again brought an outstanding value to the market.
    FTR, I have no connection with Outlaw or AudioQuest and I paid for all the cables out of my own pocket.
    ------------------
    Dan

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Im using some of the Outlaw Audio interconnects (along with Bettercables, and AR stuff) and really like them.
    There locking barrels are very large so it can be a very tight fit when connecting. When removing them from a 5.1 channel input, the connections were so tight and close together I have to get a pair of plyers to loosen the cables. Lesson learned and now I will not tighten them near as tight when reconnecting them.
    You can buy a set of 6 cables for $80 (18"), or a 6 cable set of the 1.8 meter ones for $125. At these prices there are a absolute STEAL!!!!
    With the math performed:
    .5 meter cables: $13.33 each
    1.8 meter cables: $20.83 each
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gregg

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

John,
    The locking feature on the Outlaws is a compression type, just like a compression fitting on a water pipe. The outer barrel of the connector turns, one way to loosen, the other to tighten. As a result, the connector bodies are fairly large diameter and when a pair is conected to the RCA ports on the back of your receiver, they will touch if the ports are close together, as on most equipment, including mine.
    But if you grab the cables as the come out the back of the connectors and spead them apart slightly, you will gain enough clearance to turn the locking ring. So the fit is tight, but not so tight as prevent their use, at least on my equipment. I highly recommend them.
    FYI, Outlaw does not allow return of cables unless they are defective, and then only for exchange. If you are concerned about the fit in your system. I would recommend oredering just 1 pair to test. At $30/pr, the risk is minimal.[​IMG]

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Sounds good [​IMG] I'll likely order the interconnects for my amp to 950 connections (if they come through in a timely manner with the 950).
    It would be ironic if there was a hassle getting these connectors off of the ICBM or the 950.
    Doug

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Where can we order the Outlaws?

-dave

p.s. anyone have some good recommedations for a "smooth" sounding speaker cable? I'm using pair of electrostatics (30 day trial) and they sound *incredible* (3-D soundstage, microdynamics galore) but I'd like to tame the top-end just a tad.

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest