What's new

Cable Setup Recommendations (1 Viewer)

BrianDiP

Grip
Hi folks,

I just received all my new gear and now I need to get it all hooked up correctly. Here's a list of what I got:

Panasonic cp72 dvd
Panasonic VCR (composite outs)
Sony DA4ES Receiver
Hitachi 65TWX20b TV
Will be adding a sony 400 disc megachanger soon.

I'm not sure what cables I need to get it all hooked up. Would it be better to run the component cables from the dvd to the tv? Then which cables should I use for sound from the dvd to the receiver? Or would it be better to run component cables from the dvd to the receiver to the tv? As you can see I am brand new to all this. Any input on this would be wonderful. I was planning on purchasing from bluejeanscable.com or somewhere like that so input on who has good cable would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Brian

greg_t

Screenwriter
Run component cables from your dvd player directly to the TV. Make sure to enable progressive scan on the dvd player and also set the player to 16x9 mode as I believe your Hitachi is a widescreen set. From the dvd player to your receiver, run a fiber optic (also called toslink) cable. This will be the only audio cable you will need. Also, if your reciever can decode DTS, make sure to enable the DTS output in the DVD player. So to recap, run component cables from the DVD player to the TV for video, and Fiber optic from the DVD player to the receiver for audio. Hope this helps.

steven pm

Agent
If present, running the single coax connector for digital audio from dvd to receiver will ut do connect the video directly to the tv. No need to go thru the receiver and buy extra cables! Also, if you want, pick up a programmable macro-capable remote so you can do all audio and video switching for each source with a single button push.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks