What's new

cable routing question (1 Viewer)

william^h

Auditioning
I'm the proud new owner of my very own plasma - it's mounted on the wall with the front and center channel speakers surrounding it. I'm not in a position to route the cables through the wall (I rent) - so I'm thinking of just running the spkr and source cables down the wall to the floorboard in panduit or something like it.

The question I have is that I need to run the power cord for the plasma down the wall too: should I run the power and source/spkr cables seperately or would it be OK to run everything in the same conduit. Or should I split everything? ie: spkrs, source, power in different paths?

Your thoughts are appreciated, in advance.

Thanks,

William

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If you can, you want to separate:

- AC power cords
- Interconnects (video cables)
- Speaker wires

The AC cords can induce 60 hz noise into whatever is near them.

The interconnects all have a shield, but that shield 'drains' to the signal ground in your electronics.

The nice thing is that your video and line-level audio cables can usually be grouped together. (One person did have an issue which was solved separating audio and video cables.)

Try this: just run them down the wall. Get a large piece of white poster-board and lay it in front of the cables so it blocks them from sight. Someone else did this and unless you looked close - you could not tell that it was not just the wall under his Plasma.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob and I tend to go ’round and ‘round about this (Hi, Bob :) ), but the shield on the signal cables is there to prevent interference from things like electrical lines, and speaker signals are high-level, and A/C to boot, so that makes them not especially prone to interference from electrical.

Naturally, if we were tallking about a long parallel run, I’d say it’s best to be safe and keep them apart from the electrical. But what are we talking about here? Probably less than five feet? I would’t be afraid to run them all in the same panduit for that distance.

As they say, try it and see. If you see or hear any problems, it’s easy enough to separate them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks