cable risers..do they work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I wonder what the cable rest is made of. I saw something similar while surfing the net. They were little tripods for speaker wire. I wonder if you could use wood dowling to make tripods as an experiment I would like to try it as an experiment for speaker wire but with a 2 yr old I can't see it happening. It all seems rather dubious to me, but ya never know. [​IMG]

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

As much as I hear cable differences and whatnot I really have a hard time believing in a cable riser.

Part of me wants to laugh out loud, the other part says "heck, why not try it"

Hows that for a non-answer?

4. Johnny Serrano

Johnny Serrano Auditioning

Cable risers? How in the world would they know what the optimum height for these wires would be? Is it 2", 5", 1', 3',5', 20' since everything and anything will affect the wires and therefore the sound. Plus everyones' rooms would be unique like a fingerprint for sound. Where would the optimum height be?

My advice is to make your own "cable risers" and report back to us.

I did wish it was my idea because with good marketing there is probably a ton of money to be made in these babies.

5. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I lift my cables off my carpeted floor using cedar wood blocks. Can I tell the difference if they just were laying on the carpeted floor ? Damned if I could ever conclusively tell.
    But it is one of those things where I would prefer to be on the proponents side of the issue. I also know first hand that static electricity is a real phenomenon in my room.
    This time of year static shocks abound in the Northeast with dry furnace heat. I even placed a humidifier in the room. And I always touch the rack leg first (to discharge), before I touch the electronics.
    But, again, can't say my soundstage would collapse if the cable were laying on the carpet d[​IMG]
    To each his own, I guess.
    BOK

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

If I am ever going to get "cable risers", inexpensive chopsticks holder like
    [​IMG]
    is what I am going to get. There are ceramic ones as well. Actually, that "double cable carrier" is pretty cool [​IMG]

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

maybe spray them with static guard?

8. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Yep....... I use them so I can get the Carpet Sweeper underneath the wire !! [​IMG] I hate it when the sound coming off the wires gets stuck in the carpet !! [​IMG]

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

but raising the wires brings them closer to cosmic rays...ackkkk!

10. Brian OK

ah, you naysayers always lean towards the co/mic/smic angle now, dont you? 8>)

But do not discount the detrimental effects of PVC laden wire laying on an electrically conducive/ plastic composite, synthetic-filled fiber material we call modern day carpet.
    Scuff and drag those feet across a length of carpeted floor and tell me what you see/feel when you touch a conductive surface ?
    Shocking, is it not ?
    Now, your cable is both your feet. What do I do with this charge I carry ? I have been laying here for months ! Pass it on, of course.
    Lift those cable, boys. The force is everywhere. ;>)

Hopefully it is not conductive through your speakers, or could it be ? "Save your Soundstage-- Lift and be Free".

I betcha this bumper tag could fly in CA.
    Sprays ? Deodorant for the lazy :0) Would rather spend the $40 on Auric Illuminator treatment on my discs. That stuff has the mojo !

jesting,
    BOK

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and i thought having static was good. listening to CD's while getting ticks and pops from static makes CD's sound more like vinyl [​IMG]
    good holidays to you Brian [​IMG]

12. Brian OK

Chu,
    man, you beat me to the vinyl side of the "realism".

Pops, cracks..... are good... no problem there... but good listening.

Likewise, Happy Holidays to you and yours.
    Thanks for the best wishes.

Brian

13. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

A coworker of mine bought the ceramic insulators from the old days for electrical wiring. They sell the same kind on one of the audiophile sites for a ridiculous amount but they are the same mold that he bought off ebay. He says that he can tell a difference. I like the chopstick holder idea. Another idea I've heard and am thinking about is using ceramic electrical fence insulators that you can buy at farm supply stores. You can get like 10 oof them for $8 or so. I think I might order some and maybe make a wooden rail for them to run down so I can lay my speaker cables on them. It's cheap and it doesn't hurt to try it.[​IMG]

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

make sure your house insurance is up to snuff [​IMG]

15. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Just read today about a easy cheap riser tweak to try. I'll try to find more info.
    Basically ceramic tile squares. Cool, I get to play with my tile cutter![​IMG]
    edit - ceramic tile corners.

16. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

hey i've got a turntable too. i recall, many many years ago...maybe 70's, i'd gone to my first audio show. I think it was at the NY Hilton in Manhattan. To say I was stunned was an understatement. I recall three products that struck me during that time. Two of them were speakers that are no longer produced...Cosmostatics and some brand I think called Mr. Johnson. Damn if that doesn't sound like a brand for the erotic industry. The third product, was this spray that I think was made by Stanton. It's purpose was to eliminate static charge on vinyl. Now what blew me away at the time was the demonstration. There were two chambers, filled with smoke and particulates. Not really a big thing for one who's braved the subways and bars of NYC mind you. One album was sprayed using this product, the other not. The sprayed album was buffed in a circular motion then both were placed into the chambers. Well I'll be damned, the album that wasn't sprayed literally sucked up all the dust from the chamber quicker than Heidi Fleiss on a Saturday night. The other album...nothing happened. The gentleman removed both albums and what can I say, I bought the product.