Cable questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Schucher, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I want to build my own cables for all of my connections. My understanding is that RG6 is a great way to go for all interconnects either audio or video. I want a very flexible cable but dont want to have to go the Canare route since i would be forced to buy the expensive crimp and die for their termnitions.. Any other ideas? Any flexible Belden cable that can be suggested?? Also, what other connectors besides canare would be good?? Thanx

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brian,
    RG-6 is good for long cable runs, like from the receiver to a sub, mainly because it is cheap compared to high-grade audio cable. However, I personally do not like it for interconnections. RG-6 has a solid center conductor and therefore is rather stiff. This is not the flexible cable you are looking for.
    A pro-audio outlet is a good place to find good-quality cable from manufacturers like Mogami, Canare or Belden is.
    If you don’t want to invest in the tools for the Canare connectors, that probably leaves soldered connectors as your only option. If you are good at doing intricate work with your hands, you can learn to solder. The investment in tools is much less than for the Canare set-up, and unlike with the Canare tools, which are useless after you have made your cables, you can find many uses for soldering once you have mastered it. I successfully taught a Forum member how to solder a few months ago. After only 2-3 attempts, his connectors looked as good as mine.
    Post a thread; perhaps you can find a Forum member who lives close to you who can teach you haw to solder. If not, visit a local electonics hobby shop. Probably someone there would be willing to help you.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Thanx for the input...Ill look into that kind of project. Its not the money of cables as much as i like the hobbiest aspect of it.