cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I have never bought cables before always the inbox freebie. However I have the 3803 and progressive scan dvd and the xbox. I was wondering how much should I spend on componet cable and what brand. And I think monster has a couple different quality cables so which one of them.

Thanks

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Matt - You CAN get by with just the ones in the box, but I'm not sure about the distortion.

If you get Monster Cables, I wouldn't get the 3's, as they seem a bit wasteful. Twos may be wasteful also. I work at Best Buy, and the cables are MARKED UP A LOT. I wouldn't spend more than $50 on them. Take a look at Acoustic Research cables also - they might be worth your while.

While a lot of people here don't particularly like monster cables, I used them to hook up my cable box (all Coax) and there was a remarkable difference in picture quality. While it might not QUITE have been worth what I payed (which was STILL with a discount), I do think that the shielding makes a big difference.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I believe Monster actually makes a cable that plugs directly into the XBox and breaks out into the component plugs. The set runs something like $25 which is a heck of a deal.

4. Brian Ruth

Those aforementioned component plugs are more like $70. Nice considering you don't need any extra cables, but its a bit expensive.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I just spotted them at CompUSA today.
    The SVideo cable from Monster for the XBox is $39, the component is $49.
    I DO recommend getting good component cables for progressive scan. Here are the bandwidth requirements:
    • NTSC Broadcast and VHS: 4.2 MHz
    • Laser Disk: 5.3 MHz
    • Regular NTSC DVD: 7 (6.8) MHz
    • Progressive Scan NTSC DVD and 480p DTV: 13.5 MHz
    • 1080i HDTV: 37 MHz; in practice with 22 MHz the picture is still very superb.
    • 720p HDTV; 37 MHz.
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm
    So ordinary component cables designed for 4.2 mhz may be doing something to the signal when you push 13 Mhz progressive signals down them.

6. jerry quintana

So there is a diffrence in av and component cables. The guy at best buy told me that they work the same. I couldnt figure out the diffrence in price. Will using component cable make that big a diffrence?

7. Brian Ruth

It will if you have a HDTV.... if not, most of their advantages are moot.

HD.... get Component.
    No HD... Get S-Vid.

8. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

unless you are experiencing a problem in your system...rf interference or visible artifacts....copper is copper...

the old rule...don't get the cheapest or the most expensive.....find a cable that is a step or two above the cheapest option out there....

phoenix gold and monster cable have some nice lower cost options....a step up yet not outrageously expensive...

i've found that the phoenix gold line offers more features for the money over monster cable..

Russ