Cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Dan, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Jeff_Dan

Jeff_Dan Auditioning

I am having a tough time remembering how I had my basic Sony DVD, Receiver, and TV hooked up now that I am trying to put it back together in my entertainment center. I had it working together perfectly before taking it apart. Now after I have followed the directions to the "t" the digital audio from DVD to Receiver is not working properly. Coax Monster cable. Everytime I unplug it the surround sound works. Everytime I plug it in, no sound. Could my Coax monster cable be damaged? I've check it over very carefully and nothing seems to be wrong.
    To fix the problem I thought I would try to learn more about how the system works. For instance, if you have an S-video connection between the TV and DVD, the digital in/out connection between receiver and DVD (audio), and the RCA connection from DVD to receiver...what other RCA connections are neccasary? Again after I read the directions 10 times over it still doesn't work. Everytime I pull out the digital out connection between the DVD and receiver it does work. ???any ideas are appreciated.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I think the problem is that the receiver is reading your RCA connection from the DVD player and ignoring the digital cable. First, get rid of those RCA cables. Use S to the TV and the digital coax to the receiver and nothing else. Then, you must set up your receiver to read the digital coax signal when "DVD" is selected. Different receivers have different methods of matching the source name to the digital imput. Check manual on how to select digital source. No reason at all to have the analog link from the DVD player to the reciever unless you believe the DVD player has a better DAC than the receiver, which is very unlikely.

3. Jeff_Dan

Jeff_Dan Auditioning

That was it! It's all working again. I had to really read deep into the Receiver manual to open the digital audio stream from Receiver to DVD. It's not the best home theatre in the world, but what a difference when you watch movies.

4. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Brian, I do have one question on your statement about no reason to connect both the analog (RCA) output from the DVD player and the digital output to the receiver. As I posted a couple of days ago in another thread, I just received a new Onkyo 595 receiver this past week, and the Onkyo manual does instruct to connect both the analog and the digital inputs from the DVD player. (As an aside, my Sony DVD player's manual implies to always connect the analog input, but just to add the digital connection if connecting to a digital receiver.) Anyway, I had this very question earlier on just why Onkyo would recommend using both connections simultaneously. After looking through the manual a bit further, I saw the reason . . .
    You cannot perform digital recording with the TX-DS595. Also, digital-to-analog signal conversion is not possible, so to record audio signals from digital sources, you must not only make the digital connection, but the analog connection, as well.
    Now, when I listen to Dolby Digital 5.1 on my new receiver, the display reads Dolby D. Therefore, I assume that I am getting my digital signal correctly through my digital coax cable and NOT a signal from the RCA analog cables overriding the digital input, correct? (At least, I hope that's right!)

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that, guess because I never tape anything from the DVD. In threory, I don't see why the receiver can't decode the bitstream to analog and rout that to the tape out. But one advantage of not using the analog connection is that you never have to wonder if your getting the 5.1 bitstream from the DVD- if you hear anyting at all it must be from the digital connection if thats the only one you have.