Cable question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, May 18, 2002.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I was looking to make some composite video cables for my laserdisc player from parts I have. I was going to use my carol cable rg-6 and some ends from other connectors.

I'm having a terible time tining the outer stands. They just seem resistant to the solider. THe flux seem to flow in well.

Is this a bad way to go for a cheap composit video cable? I've read several things on interconnects on the web. Everyone seems to state belikin cable (forgot the model) is the best to use.

Can anyone give me some helpful advice on what to do?

2. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

You are going to get a TON of differing suggestions here, but here is what I do...

When I wired my house for data/SAT/OTA/telco, I bought a 300 meter reel of Canare L-5CFB (their version of RG-6) and a bunch of BNC, F, and RCA connectors specifically for that cable. While the L-5CFB is an excellent cable for SAT and OTA antenna leads, its solid conductor (18 GA solid copper) may make interconnects a bit stiff for some... Not me... Besides, I have a bunch left over on the reel even after running two coax runs to every room in the house, from the AT&T cable box, 4 runs from the Dish Switch 64 to the data closet et al.

I've used the L-5CFB for compsite video cables (RCA), audio interconnects, and component video cables (3 runs bound together). It works great and Canare's RCA connectors are TRUE 75 Ohm connectors. Now, there may be better recipes out there for interconnects and such, but for a one cable does all, L-5CFB is pretty friggin' good... They sound GREAT to me... And at about $6.00 for a custom-made 1M RCA/RCA interconnect, you simply can't beat the price....

BTW, I am convinced they work better than the way over-priced Monster crap I was using before.... AND I can afford to make new custom length cables whenever I need them.

Of course, you need to invest in the Canare crimp tool, dies, and I highly recommend their stripper tool (it is simply awesome).... But these are one time investments... Then you can make cables to your heart's content at drastically reduced prices... In fact, I just ordered another 40 Canare RCA connectors to make new custom interconnects to clean up my component install in my forthcoming Flexi-tower...

If you want stranded cable, the LV series is something to look at...

And you can get component cable (multiple channels in a cable bundle) as well in both stranded and solid versions...

The solid cores generally have less attenuation at a given length and frequency...

In the long run... especially if you think you will be reconfiguring your setup or adding/deleting components, it is wise to invest in a set of proper tools, cable, and connector stock.... Then make whatever cables you need, when you need them.

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Clay, thanks. My big hang up is the cost of tools, that $200 in tools just to get stated, never mind connectors and the cable. Once I get over that hump I think I'll be fine.

As far as the cripmer goes I've seen ideal crimpers at frys, I guess I'd just need the dies for the cables and connects after that.

If I got the Canare $100 stripper that handles other cable, right? I can't see why not. My little $10 RG-6 stripper has served me well for over 100 cuts. I know how important a good tool is.

I'm on the fence as to if belden 1695A or the Canare L-5CFB would be better. They sound pretty similar.

It would be cool if we could get a group discount on this gear. Has anyone contacted a dealer about that? At least cables and connectors?

4. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, everyone balks at the cost of the tools... I know I did... for a while. But I have never regretted getting them. They are simply superb tools... I'm still acquiring a comlete set of dies for the crimper.

I know nothing about the "ideal" crimpers... I've heard of people using another frame-set and using the Canare dies... but I wouldn't do it personally.

The Canare stripper is the most adjustable stripper I have ever seen... It has a replaceable cutter cartridge (I've never needed one), and yes it is adjustable... fully...

You should be able to set it for virtually any cable/connector combo...

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of doing the same thing. My stripper and cable should be in today. I picked up my die and the ends from here for pretty cheap-Canare Crimp I am also working on a secrete covering for my cables, I ordered it yesterday and it should be here tommorow. I will post pics of me making the cables. Here is a link to my covering I am going to try out(to make them look like silver serpents)here
    This ought to be a busy weekend, I got some split loom from work, a new amp, and the cable stuff. I am going to be redoing my whole rack to see if I can neaten it up a little!

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,
    Actually, I think this is what the SS wire is using.
    Brian