Cable Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Apr 23, 2002.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

I will be upgrading to a Denon 1802 this weekend. I still have an old RCA 27" TV that I use an RF converter to connect. My question is, will I see any improvement in picture if I use S-Video cables between Digital Cable, VCR, PlayStation and the Denon. Or is that a waste till I get a TV that was built at least in the 90s [​IMG]
    And I know this has been fought over many times, but considering my somewhat antiquated set up, Coax or Optical from the DVD to receiver.
    I might just S-Video the other stuff since I can “hide” the investment with the purchase of the Denon. [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid that you cannot even run SVideo to the receiver. If you run something with SVideo to the receiver, you must then run SVideo out to see that source. Your converter will not handle this and you will see ... nothing.

With a few exceptions, most receivers will not convert the video to different formats.

I'm afraid you are stuck with composite until you get a SVideo equipped TV.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Wally,
    On the optical vs. coax for the digital input there are the common thoughts that:
    - coax may sound better
    - optical may eliminate grounding problems
    - optical cords are more delicate (i.e., easily broken)
    etc., etc.
    Maybe just start off with whichever is less expensive (coax may be cheaper). Acoustic Research Pro & Radio Shack gold series are decent, inexpensive cables (I'd stay away from the RS optical though--pricey and not as well made as the AR Pro optical, IMHO).
    You can do a quick search using "coax optical digital" or similar and should find a bunch of threads if you wish further info.
    Enjoy that 1802. . . [​IMG]

4. wally

wally Second Unit

Thanks tons Bob! Guess I’ll have to use that money budgeted for cables to knock a few titles off the “wishlist” Rats [​IMG]
    One other question, in rooting around, I’ve seen specialized cables for connecting the sub to the receiver. Are these a good investment over just a long RCA patch cord?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. wally

wally Second Unit

Thanks Bill and Mike!

Can't wait till tomorrow to test your advice.

I'm sure it will be amazing compared to the old set up with an old Sony Pro Logic box.

7. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

Wally,
    I bought a composite to s-video adapter from Parts Express:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...Number=180-140
    It's cheap and it works! I used it to connect non-s-video sources to my receiver. This allowed me to use s-video to the TV, so things like digital cable will be greatly improved. I'm not claiming that it improves the composite signal to s-video quality, but at least it allows you to take advantage of any sources that do allow for s-video signals.

8. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I would of thaught a 27" RCA would have SVideo. take out a flash light and look real hard. I find the RCA's are really weird like that. We gatta 7 year old 19" RCA and it has Svideo.

9. wally

wally Second Unit

WOW! Although we enjoyed watching/listening to movies, I knew we were missing something screening DVDs with early 90s Pro Logic technology. I had no idea, what a difference. Thanks again Bob, and Mike for the help. I went with just the composite cables for everything. Matthew, I looked all over the back while I had everything pulled out and the only input on the back of the RCA was a coax in. [​IMG] Oh well, with several hours hooking and unhooking, I did get everything up and running in a somewhat manageable configuration. I did go with the AR coax cable and sub cable, sounds remarkable!
    With the severe lack of TV inputs, it’s still a bit rigged and kind of annoyance to my “non-AV” wife to watch TV, but she mentioned Friday night, as I was futzing’ around with everything, that we might need to upgrade TVs also! I’m already there honey!
    Thanks again.
    [​IMG]

10. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Okay Wally you've laid the ground work...now it's time to drive around with your wife and accidently pull into the parking lot of your favorite electronics retailer for a "left handed widget" After you get her into the store make sure that the widgets department is located by the HDTV's...she won't know what hit her.....HEHEHE.[​IMG]