What's new

Cable Question (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
I will be upgrading to a Denon 1802 this weekend. I still have an old RCA 27" TV that I use an RF converter to connect. My question is, will I see any improvement in picture if I use S-Video cables between Digital Cable, VCR, PlayStation and the Denon. Or is that a waste till I get a TV that was built at least in the 90s :)
And I know this has been fought over many times, but considering my somewhat antiquated set up, Coax or Optical from the DVD to receiver.
I might just S-Video the other stuff since I can “hide” the investment with the purchase of the Denon. ;)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid that you cannot even run SVideo to the receiver. If you run something with SVideo to the receiver, you must then run SVideo out to see that source. Your converter will not handle this and you will see ... nothing.

With a few exceptions, most receivers will not convert the video to different formats.

I'm afraid you are stuck with composite until you get a SVideo equipped TV.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Wally,
On the optical vs. coax for the digital input there are the common thoughts that:
- coax may sound better
- optical may eliminate grounding problems
- optical cords are more delicate (i.e., easily broken)
etc., etc.
Maybe just start off with whichever is less expensive (coax may be cheaper). Acoustic Research Pro & Radio Shack gold series are decent, inexpensive cables (I'd stay away from the RS optical though--pricey and not as well made as the AR Pro optical, IMHO).
You can do a quick search using "coax optical digital" or similar and should find a bunch of threads if you wish further info.
Enjoy that 1802. . . :)

wally

Second Unit
Thanks tons Bob! Guess I’ll have to use that money budgeted for cables to knock a few titles off the “wishlist” Rats :D
One other question, in rooting around, I’ve seen specialized cables for connecting the sub to the receiver. Are these a good investment over just a long RCA patch cord?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are these a good investment over just a long RCA patch cord?
Lets be clear. All your interconnects should be made with coaxial cable. It's a round cable about the same thickness as your CATV coax. (In fact, if you cut it, it looks exactly like CATV coax). This gives a shield to the signals.

A "patch cord" often refers to the cheap wires that look like Walkman headphone wires with cheap RCA plugs on the end. Avoid these.

Nearly any coax cable will make a dandy sub cable. Subwoofer frequencies are easy for nearly any coax.

A better quality cable will sometimes get you a tighter-fitting RCA plug which can affect the sound.

Also, a self-powered external sub sometimes causes a loud HUMM known as a "ground loop". Some "Subwoofer Cables" have little arrows and dont connect the shield at both ends and this type of cable can help solve the ground loop humm.

So while you dont NEED a specalized subwoofer cable, a well built cable is not a bad thing to have.

Hit the custom sites and price-shop and they will build you a custom cable for a decent price.

To play with subwoofer positions, go to Radio Shack and buy a 25 foot CATV coax cable with "F" connectors already installed. Buy 2 "F-to-RCA Male" adaptors and you now have a 25 foot subwoofer cable for about $12.

Use this cheap cable to play with positions, then order a better cable once you find the final home for the sub.

Good Luck.

wally

Second Unit
Thanks Bill and Mike!

Can't wait till tomorrow to test your advice.

I'm sure it will be amazing compared to the old set up with an old Sony Pro Logic box.

JonBouche

Agent
Wally,
I bought a composite to s-video adapter from Parts Express:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...Number=180-140
It's cheap and it works! I used it to connect non-s-video sources to my receiver. This allowed me to use s-video to the TV, so things like digital cable will be greatly improved. I'm not claiming that it improves the composite signal to s-video quality, but at least it allows you to take advantage of any sources that do allow for s-video signals.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I would of thaught a 27" RCA would have SVideo. take out a flash light and look real hard. I find the RCA's are really weird like that. We gatta 7 year old 19" RCA and it has Svideo.

wally

Second Unit
WOW! Although we enjoyed watching/listening to movies, I knew we were missing something screening DVDs with early 90s Pro Logic technology. I had no idea, what a difference. Thanks again Bob, and Mike for the help. I went with just the composite cables for everything. Matthew, I looked all over the back while I had everything pulled out and the only input on the back of the RCA was a coax in. :frowning: Oh well, with several hours hooking and unhooking, I did get everything up and running in a somewhat manageable configuration. I did go with the AR coax cable and sub cable, sounds remarkable!
With the severe lack of TV inputs, it’s still a bit rigged and kind of annoyance to my “non-AV” wife to watch TV, but she mentioned Friday night, as I was futzing’ around with everything, that we might need to upgrade TVs also! I’m already there honey!
Thanks again.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Okay Wally you've laid the ground work...now it's time to drive around with your wife and accidently pull into the parking lot of your favorite electronics retailer for a "left handed widget" After you get her into the store make sure that the widgets department is located by the HDTV's...she won't know what hit her.....HEHEHE.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks