What's new

Cable question (1 Viewer)

Matt Lando

Agent
I don't want to start any cable wars here. I know this is a very sensitive subject around here but as a newbie to home theater I really would like to hear some of your opinions about cables. I'll need to choose a cable soon as my home theater setup is to arrive any day now. I have both connections so I can choose either optical or digital coaxial cable. All I want to know is what are the pros and cons of each if any if anyone has had any serious problems with any particular cable. I really need your help as I can't decide. I can find no info on this anywhere. Please just give your opinion and ignore any nasty replies. thanks.

Darell_Land

Auditioning
I have used both on the same system and I myself cant tell the Diff. The only thing is that Optical is more prone to damage (wich I have done) and now useing Coax Cable as for what is the best noooo wont get into that you will hear a ton of answers on that.

Matt Lando

Agent
Thanks for responding.

Why is the optical cable more prone to damage? I'm guessing maybe because the cable is thinner than digital coaxial cable? Or is it something else.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
digital coax is basically just 75 Ohm cable with RCA ends, like used on video signals.

optical is either plastic or glass with a shield, and it's prone to breaking at 2 places.

1) the glass/plastic itself can break if the cable is kinked or mishandled.

2) the connectors are typically plastic and don't really form a tight connection, so they could break.

As to the sonic differences between the two, this is what I've heard:

coax is better because with optical you have to make the extra conversions from electric to light and back. Don't know if that holds any water, though.

A plus for optical is that it's immune to EMI/RFI (interference).

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
I think optical or COAX is FINE. COAX does have the following practical advantages.

a.) It's more durable

b.) It's a cheaper cable. Most of the opti cables will run you around $15-$20 unless you buy one of those overpriced Monster cables and then you will pay $50. A good quality RCA-RCA video cable will work absolutely fine as a digital-COAX cable.

As far as sound quality is concerned, I haven't heard any difference and I suspect that any differences are perceived rather than actual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks