Cable Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ryan_W, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Auditioning

I have and HD TV that unfortunately is not blessed with either a dvi or hdmi input. I was considering upgrading my component cables but was wondering how much better the high-end ones really are.

1. Are Monster cables really worth $130 for 8'?..That seems insane to me.

2. Are there less expensive equivalants such as the Radio Shack Gold cables?

The problem I have is that I have a lot of cables and this could add up really fast.

My dvd player and game systems run through an HD system selector I bought at Best Buy for $25. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post a link to it.

3. Would I lose the extra quality passing through it?

All in all I would need to replace my dvd player to component selector cable, component selector to receiver, receiver to tv and HD receiver to a/v receiver cables. Is this going to be worth the expense? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. It seems insane to most people on this forum as well.
    2. Besides RS, AR and Dayton (Parts Express) have good cables.
    3. Maybe. Try it both ways and see if you can tell any difference.

-Robert

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

1. Ditto Robert_J including me.
    2. Include Blue Jean Cables as well
    3. I saw no difference between Monster and any other cable. For me the comparison was S-Video with Monster and Acoustic Research and Radio Shack and I saw no improvement in quality from Monster. Rat Shack was a little cheaper and AR was even more cheaper and picture quality was the same.

4. John S

John S Producer

No real difference, except that if a Monster goes bad you get a new one on the spot right?

I use pretty darn inexpensive GE component cables with excellent results, some impressively long runs too.

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Auditioning

Thanks for the help. Do you suppose there would be a noticable difference between these 2 cables?

6' AR cable Model: AP091
    Product Features:

Constructed with high-grade oxygen-free copper wire for optimum video performance

Gold-plated corrosion-resistant connectors keep your connection clear for years to come

Dual shielding blocks electronic noise (static and snow) produced by nearby electronic equipment and appliances

6' AR cable Model: PR191
    Product Features:

Precision-crafted 24K gold-plated, 8-segment RCA connectors with split-center pins

99.97% oxygen-free, silver-coated copper center conductor

High-purity, silver-soldered internal connections

Multishielded design includes two 95% copper braids and 100% aluminum Mylar foil

Nitrogen-injected foam dielectric