Cable Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt_Vaudrin, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Matt_Vaudrin

Matt_Vaudrin Stunt Coordinator

Dec 7, 2003
    Not sure if this is where to ask this questionk, or if it should even be asked here, but you guys have helped me in the past, so I came to you first.

We just recently moved back into town. previously we were renting a small house outside of town, that had a rooftop antenna. In my room, I used a Splitter thing to hook up 2 VCR's to my tv, one through the back and one through the AV jacks on the front.

Now at our new house we have cable, and I don't know if I can still split it like that or not.

So my question is this, Can you split Cable to 2 VCRs or tvs in the same house?
    Does it cost extra??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    1) Yes, you can buy a coax splitter at any radio shack or hardware store or spot that has some electronics stuff. Your cable provider should have them too when you have your cable hooked up if you need wire run new places.

2) No it doesn't cost extra.
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    They actually passed a law several years ago making it legal for you to split the CATV signal to several Televisions - as long as you were paying for the service. The cable companies used to try and charge you extra per television.

Nowadays - they get around it by making you "rent" a CATV box for $4-$9/per month per television. But they have to still offer a basic service you can split.

I have a very strong/encouraging suggestion for you: see if your Cable company offers a Personal Video Recorder box. These things have made my VCR's obsolete. Everything is done digitally to the hard-drive so we almost never watch live TV anymore. It is so cool to pause/rewind or simply time-shift everything.

Hope this helps.