cable question?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JeffTimmerman, Jan 18, 2004.

1. JeffTimmerman

I have a serious question here. I know there is no right or wrong answer here and it is subjective to the individual and the kinds of components you are running. However, are high end cables really any better than regular radio shack type cheap cable? I currently bought into the hype of audio quest cables a few years back, purchased some series 4 or whatever they call them cables and hooked up my fronts and center channel. It sounds great but I'm not sure really if they would be any better than regular brand cables? This question also applies to component video cables. I currently have a denon avr 3801 receiver and a panasonic tau hdtv and am running the higher end monster component cables (white component cables..maybe series 3). I am running monster toslink 100 series audio cable as well. Is it really worth it to buy these high end cables? I know there is no right or wrong answer and that kind of "trust your ears" type answer isn't really what I am looking for. What do you guys think? Is there that much difference?

Thanks,
    jeff

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    There's a difference, up to a point. The RS $20 digital coax is better than the $5 digital coax, because it has thicker and better shielding. The connectors on the ends are a little better too. But, I wouldn't say that the Monster $40 is any better than the RS $20. Some will disagree with me. I think they have been hyped by the marketing people, and believe that because it's more expensive, it's better (as with Bose). If you have a LOT of money and want to impress your friends with real expensive cables, go ahead. If you can afford it, spread the wealth! But if you are a hard working person like me and some others, you will do very well with the mid-range cables. I'd bet that if you use a $20 cable and listen, then use a $200 cable and listen, you won't hear a difference.............

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I agree with Ed. Once you've hit the price point where the cable is well built with good connectors you run into dimished returns, i.e. you have to spend a lot more for a very small improvement.