Cable quality and soldering

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jeff_DePiazza, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Jeff_DePiazza

Jeff_DePiazza Auditioning

I don't want to open up a can of worms...but in searching on the soldering of cable companies and the quality of their work in how they build their cables, I came across this article on audioholics:

audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/ComponentVideoCables_3.php

I know that people here swear by certain brands of cables, and I own a few bluejeans cables as well. I tried to crack one open to see the solder connection to the RCA can, but it was crimped shut and I was unwilling to destroy the cable to get at the inside. On the first page of the link given above, there are two pictures of disected cables. My questions would be this:

Has anyone disected a bluejeans cable and looked at the connections and what did the work look like (hopefully nothing on the right)?

I know that cable manufacturers do look at these forums and will chime in on this and this was not meant as an attack on any manufacturer or their work. This is merely an inquiry, but anyone is welcome to chime in with their 2 cents.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I don't own any of his stuff, but I believe the Canare connectors Kurt at Bluejeans uses are crimp only - they are not solder type connectors. You could email him and ask - he's answered any of my questions about his products in a timely manner. From their website:

We hand-cut and terminate each of these component video cables ourselves, using Canare tooling, so we know they're done right and tested before they go out.

FYI the picture on the right of that link is not a Bluejeans cable.

3. Jeff_DePiazza

Jeff_DePiazza Auditioning

Crimped and not solderd...good point. I guess it wouldn't look like that then. I looked at a DIY site and the termination of the shielding looks pretty good as it is crimped to the can one the outer sleeve gets placed over it. Thanks for you help.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

To be somewhat fair about this, the second cable, made by BetterCables, was made using the POS Eichman Bullet connector, one of the first versions if I recall correctly. I do agree that a vendor selling a cable and offering this particular connector ought to be able to produce a better looking product than the one shown. It is though, rather a bitch to solder.

While true, at the frequencies we'd likely be using it, I rather doubt the signal loss would be noticeable. Still, as I said above, if you're paying good money, you've got a right to expect good, neat, workmanship.