Cable Positioning

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Brad-F, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

"How long is a peice of string?"

I am building a new house and I am planning a home theatre in the front room.

I have asked the company building the house to put a power point in the roof of this room (for the projector) and i have asked the chaps doing to HT wiring to install a 2" conduit from where the amps and such will be up to the roof where the projector will be. This will allow me to feed the correct cable through when I need it. You see, at this point in time, i don't have the projector, nor do i know which one I am getting.

Despite that, I need to know where to tell them to put this power point and conduit on the roof.

Could you guys please offer me some suggestions on how far from the screen a projector might be? What are the ranges of these things? What would be a safe avarage distance (if such a distance exists) for current projectors?

Bear in mind that after building the house, I will have fairly modest finances for the projector, so the projetor will be from the the budget end of the market. However, I will look to upgrade in the future.

I should add that the room is about 6 meters long and the screen will be at one end.

What I will most likely do is have the power and conduit somewhere behind the projector, giving me room for error and upgrade.

So, what would be a good distance for these? How long IS that peice of string?

Thanks

2. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

throw distances will vary depending on your projector. My suggestion would be to have them run the conduit all the way to the back of the room, just in case. When you get your exact projector you can cut a hole in the ceiling wherever you are mounting it and then cut the conduit to access the video cable. Same theory for power.

3. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

mmm... good thinking Daniel.

My concern with this is that the power cable would have to run perhaps several meters with the video cable. Could this not cause interference?

Another thought is that the HT gear (receiver and such) is near the front the room. If the conduit has to run to the back of the room, up the wall, and then back to the middle of the room. It could be around 15 meters of conduit. Could be a right nuisance to pass cable along that, wouldn't it?

If I look at the throw distance of all projectors in my expected price range, then I could just get the cable mounted at the maximuum throw range of those projectors. If I did that, and bought a different projector with a shorter throw range, is there a nice way to dress the cables as they run along the roof should they need to travel? (not an ideal option. But I want to be as prepared as I can).

I am going to try to get the projector picked in the coming months, making this a moot thread. Still, I may not given the financal onslaught of buying a house in Sydney AND building a home theatre.

mmm... I just had a brain storm... My screen is going to be mobile. It is infront of a window at the end of the room so it will not be fixed to the wall (might even be on wheels).
    I could just mount the conduit and power at a happy medium and move the screen to suit the projector. (Flashing my newbie HT skill here). Is this a feasable/workable solution?

This would change the balance of the surround speakers, but that can be adjusted.

4. Steve::Weaver

Throw length calculations for various projectors can be found here:

www .projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

(Still not allowed to post URLs, even though I've posted on and off for a couple of months. Grr.)