Cable or Satellite, should I stay or switch?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoshGivens, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have standard cable access and high speed internet through my cable company. For the last few weeks, I've been comtemplating switching to my cable company's HD service with DVR. They offer a discount for this when you have their internet, so there isn't too much of a price difference between the two.

I was talking about this with some of my co-workers and they were trying to convince me to switch to satellite HD instead of going with the cable. They said that using cable was like hooking up an 8-track player to my high-end audio system.

What are your views on the subject? Does one offer a better picture/audio quality than the other?

As a sidenote, I've never had my cable go out in the two years that I've lived in my house.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    The one pro I have to give my cable company, TWC, is reliability. Never goes out. I also have Road Runner Internet through them and it's outstanding.

That being said, the choice and price ratio is appalling. I'm paying $44 a month for basic cable, no boxes, channels 2-78. $50 a month with DirecTV takes me to the stars in comparison, before we even start talking about getting into HDTV and other things.

I'm probably going to make the switch soon myself and keep the RR Internet. [​IMG]

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Josh, I would go to satellite. I have Road Runner internet also, although it's much too expensive, my wife wants it.
    I have HD satellite with Dish Network(811 receiver)and OTA antenna to pick up locals in HD. The HD quality is GREAT, and Dish Network is the best value for HD. Early on the 811 receiver had a lot of minor problems, but they have been fixed with software upgrades. You can lease the 811 for $5 per month.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Jim, how much are you paying for RR? I don't know about you, but I get some sick download and upload times. I'm paying under $50 a month. I'm not really sure where, or how, I could get broadband this good for less myself.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Eric, I'm paying $45 plus tax per month.

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Me, too. Honestly, I've shopped around and that's the best price I've seen by far...for this kind of amazing Internet that I have here. I really don't know how I could do better and, ironically, I have no problems with this price vs. the price for the TV content from TWC. Go figure, right? [​IMG]

7. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

As a person who has had Sat for 10+ years and just swutched to Cable (Comcast) 2 weeks ago (I did this for HD locals and cheaper HSI price) I can honestly say......GO SAT. The picture is, IMO, far superior than that of cable.

I am actually thinking - OMG, I made a huge mistake - I will probably switch back as DirecTV is launching new Sat's next year for local HD and On Demand.

Also, Sat prices don't increase on an annual basis as cable does.

Hope this helps your decision.

8. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'd switch back, too, if I were you Jake. ESPECIALLY away from Comcast.

9. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

I probably will Eric. Will keep the HSI though. 3000 DL beats the hell out of 144 IDSL.

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Yeah. Exactly right. It's going to be dumb, but I'm going to keep the Road Runner Internet I have because it's smokin'. And I never see pings higher than 55-60 in even the most overtaxed online games. Great online! [​IMG] Horrible TV rates! [​IMG]