Cable Nightmare HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JackIR, Mar 1, 2002.

1. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm replacing my current processor with a new one. So this gives me an opportunity to get behind my HT rack/cabinet and come face to face with a monster of a mess. Here's what Im dealing with in term of equipment:

Processor ( in middle)

7 channel amp (On bottom)

DVD-A player

Ultimate TV

Directv receiver

subwoofer amp (2nd to bottom)

power conditioner / surge supressor ( in middle)

Plus cables running to the 65 inch tv.

I've got cables running all over the place, but this time I want to do it right. Can you guys give me examples of how you have tackled this problem so that I can have my cables organized?
  2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Feb 5, 2001
    relax! move the racks/cabinet out for a day or two (pacify the WAF) and take your time here. But diagnosing each of yr items by posting is like trying to take out an appendix by email. For starters, look at this basic hookup guide from the Monster website.
    For basics, one wants his 7-chl amp to have as MUCH AIR around it as possible. Many suggest placing it near the bottom of the rack/stack so that the (speaker) wires flow down closer to the floor and out of the way of all the power cords etc from equipment above.
    Let us know how it's going...
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

Put the amp on the bottom rack. Let the speaker wires flow out with a minimal drop, and it wont obscure the rest of the equipment.

Put the Processor on top of the amp. Now you just need short interconnects between the two

Next, put the sources/devices you dont ever touch (Replay/Ultimate/Direct).

On top, put the devices you DO touch (DVD/VCR).

Go to the back. See which side most of the power cords are on. Route all power cords to this side of your rack. Use velcro straps/ties to bunch them to the sides.

Now you can wire the interconnects down the middle, or the other side.

Hint: Get some wire labels (Radio Shack) and label both ends of each interconnect. Do a simple A/B/C.. type of labeling. Dont try and get fancy by labeling the Video cables with one code, the digital or analog with others, o even what device they connect. You are just trying to be able to trace the wire from src to dest. Simpler is sometimes better.