Cable modem surge protection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I could not find another appropriate place to post this....

I have a cable modem (Time Warner Cable in Overland Park, KS) and currently have no type of surge protection on the cable line to the computer.

Should I get this?

The only surge protector I have found that claims to have the ability to protect cable modems is the APC Pro8TV. My concern is buying a surge protector that slows down my connection and a standard TV surge protector will do this.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mike OConnell

Mike
    bump

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, it would be a good idea to have one
    Unfortunately I have no suggestions [​IMG]

4. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

I use these for my satellite, used to use the same when I had a cable modem.
    Belkin

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

6. Mike OConnell

Mike
    I was told by a salesman at a computer store that you can't use a "standard" cable TV surge protector because it does not have adequate "bandwidth" for the cable modem application.

He had no surge protectors in stock that were "rated" for use with cable modems.

Now, whether he knew what he was talking about I don't know... That is why I asked the question here.

Thanks,

Mike

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I would get one designed for computer networking. Most networks today use Cat5 cabling, but there should be some solutions for the older coax interfaces. Some keywords you might try searching for are "thinnet" and "10 base-2".

8. Mike OConnell

Mike
    I e-mailed the "help" line this morning at APC with this question:

"I am interested in a surge protector that can protect against surges on my Cable modem line (coaxial), as well as for my home PC. The Pro8TV seems to be the one I need, but there is a lack of information on whether the bandwidth is high enough to handle my "Roadrunner" (Time-Warner Cable) cable modem service.

I just need to know - does this surge protector have adequate bandwith to not degrade the speed of my cable modem transmissions?"

Here is their answer just 6 hours later:

"Dear Mike O'Connell,

Thank you for contacting APC on 2/06/02.

You are correct the PRO8TV will protect against surges on your Coaxial Cable line. This would be an excellent surge device for you.

This surge protector will not degrade the speed of your modem. The Time-Warner Cable service should suffer no slow down due to the Surge Station. Your bandwidth will be the same through the PRO8TV as what it is coming from your cable.

I hope that I answered your question for you, Mike. If not, or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you!"

I love good service!

Mike