Cable Modem & security

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan M~, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

I'm getting a cable modem tonight. It will use the USB out of the Motoral cable mmodem to my computer. What security concerns (lack of firewall router) do I have? How do I protect myself with this hardware arrangement? My "share" have been disabled in windows.

Thanks for the help.

-Dan

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

At the very least you should install a personal firewall and an anti-virus program. Zone Alarm is a free firewall for personal use that from what I hear is very good. Norton also makes a good firewall, and I also recommend Norton AntiVirus. You can also get Norton Internet Security which combines the firewall and antivirus into a single package.

KJP

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

You should have Virus Protection software nomatter what (unless you're using a Non-Windows OS, but I doubt it). Instead of installing software based firewalls, I prefer to use a cable modem router. Both Linksys and Netgear make great ones. Once your computer is behind that router, it can't be seen by the real world unless you expressly permit it. There is less of a load on your computer by doing it this way. You also get the benefit of being able to add more computers behind that router, and they'll be hidden from the internet as well.

4. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Thanks All...

I will get a software firewall. Hardware will have to wait until finances allow. Is there such a thing as an USB firewall/router?? All I can see are ethernet based fire walls. I would have to buy an ethernet firewall (around $100) and an ethernet card for the computer. The USB allows a direct connect... no additional cards required. Also, is there any noticeable speed difference between USB and Ethernet? Which is prefered and why?

Thanks again for the guidance!

-Dan

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

To complete your security "suite", you rally need a firewall (sw or hw), a virus scanner (Norton, Mcafee, Ontrack..) and a Trojan Horse catcher/monitor (The Cleaner).