What's new

Cable Modem Question (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hopefully a cable modem installer or someone more knowledgable on cabling will have the answer to my question.

I recently moved furniture around and now the coax cable that goes from the wall to the cable modem is about 3 ft to long. I would like to shorten it. Is there a specific type of cable I should be using?

I have a ton of RG6 and could easily make a cable the length I need but wanted to make sure I get the "correct" type for maximum efficiency. I looked at the current cable and there was some info on it(which I didnt write down).

Thanks

Colin

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Customizing those cables is an art form, I would just try to push the cable into the opening in which it enters the room or just coil it up. But if you are like me you would be willing to give it a shot. Head down to your local radio shack and ask them for the tool to strip the coax.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm in agreement with the others, look into pushing it into the wall or the like.

cable modems use a bit higher frequency that analog cable TV, so a higher quality cable is prefered, but when I used to use cable internet (now on DSL) I don't remember it being too picky. Got the near the same speeds off a 100ft run from the living room splitter as I did from a 10ft run straight from the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks