What's new

Cable Modem Problems (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I just installed my new cable modem last night. When I download things from websites, newsgroups, or IRC, my download speed ranges from 20kb/s to around 150 kb/s (it was really nice to see the new Spiderman trailer in full-screen :)).
Yet, when I use file sharing programs like WinMX or Kazaa, I can't connect with most people (I was able to when I had my 56k) to get a download going, or if I do get a download going (from people with cable modems and faster), I'm lucky to be going at 5 kb/s. :angry:
Is there anyway that I can download faster from those programs?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
First of all welcome to the broadband community!...but I guess ur not there yet. So go to dslreports.com. Here u'll get tons of info on how u can optimize that cable modem from tweaks to speed tests. My connection was like that when I first got it but when I installed those tweaks and stuff, I've been getting around 1 mbps throughput on this thing!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Matthew,

When you're downloading the spider man trailer, you're getting it from a service that is optimized for high speed downloads (Apple's web services are handled by Akamai for example). When you're getting stuff from Kaza, you're downloading from other people who have the same sort of connection as you. So the limit is more on their end than yours most likely. Some services also cap the upload speed, which would affect the people sharing the file, and reduce the speed of your download from them.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Nothing to add to this, but I just had to ask, was the tag under your name intentional?

Matthew Chieml

Say hello to my little

Thats funny, no offense tho if you didn't mean to say you had a little member :b

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
This is another vote for anyone with a broadband connection to spend some time on DSLReports. The guys there really know their stuff. There's online tools to rate your connection, as well as software to tweak your connection for max throughput - the way it is by default, Windows is set up for modems not high speed... It's amazing the difference a few one line tweaks can make!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks