Cable Modem Problems...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK Folks, Anyone here with Optimum Online in Ortley Beach NJ, by chance? Starting since February, we've had more online outages in the past 4 months, than we've had all year last year. Last year, it was on ALL the time. Now it sems to go out at least once a week. Usually signaled by a slow web page or mail download time.

The cable modem is a SB4100 Surfboard. Don't know if it's the modem or my cable company. Any ideas?

2. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried calling your ISP, to ask if others in your area had problems also?

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It's the isp. Too many users on the subnet, misconfigured subnet, they're working in your area... so forth.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I sure hope I can get a discount for this. They just sent us a bill for it as usual this month for 80$'s. Half for the online service. We shouldn't have to pay if it dosn't work 60% of the time.

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Keep buggin them about it. You will be given the usual stuff like James says. After a couple of weeks of so so service, I demanded they come over here, yank their crap from my PC and give my money back. Also, I told them I'll be telling most of my friends to forget about their service. They suddenly did an about face. They came out, checked my stuff out. Tech apologized a hundred times and then said I would get a month of service free.

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

You sure it's "we" ? Do your have neighbors with the same problem ?
    I have optonline also. I did the self-install and all was well for a while. Then the thing started acting flaky, not all the LEDs on the modem would light, I figured it was a cable co. problem also. I had the modem behind 3 splitters. I called the cable co. and they had me connect the modem at a point before all the splitters, it worked fine ! I had to re-config my wires and stuff to get 1 of the splitters out of the line. The 2 that are left in the line are marked as to how much they attenuate each output leg. I'm using the legs that attenuate the least (-3.5db).
    That's why the cable co. splits the incoming signal to the house and makes a dedicated line up to the modem.
    I guess the net of this is to check all your wire and make sure that you have no more than 2 splitters before the modem, and make sure that they have a bandwidth of at least 5-1000MHz and are of good quality. Let us know what happens.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

'We' meaning the people in my house, not the surronding neighbors [​IMG].

Btu, I've checked on an online board more suited for these problems, and no one else in the area checked in with a problem, so I'm pretty sure that it's just me. And as far as the splitters go, we've got one two way splitting connected where the cable modem is.

One in line from the wall cable outlet, and one goes to the cable modem directly. The other goes to the VCR cable in. I'd try connecting it directly to the modem all the time, but then I wouldn't get the cable service to my TV tuner.

8. Brad kl

Brad kl Auditioning

if you are renting the modem, go down there with it and insist they give you a new one, and a new NIC card. (if you are capable of installing and configuring them)

and in any event, call and make a fuss about the downtime, my old ISP (@HOME) used to give me money off for downtime when I complained (and for them it was down for days at a time)

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, like clockwork, it's down yet again. Now it seems to be going out at least once a day. Sigh... I'm going to finally call the cable company, because we should be getting some kind of discount for all of this nonsense..

10. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Are all the LEDs lit during the outage ? If not, what's on and what's off ?

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

*Edit* I just connected it directly to the wall outlet for about 5 minutes. No change.

when it goes out, only the receive light blinks on and off. Occasionally the send will blink on and off for a few minutes, but mostly it's the receive just blinking and blinking and blinking at me.

It's usually out for 2 hours at a time..

12. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

If 'no change' means still broke when you connect to the wall, then by all means call 'em. Have you tried this ?

13. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

You don't mention your O/S, so I can't be too specific, but you might try going into where your IP is configured and see if it will re-new after you release it. It won't if they're down.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, Windows XP. How would I do this?

15. sammy segask

sammy segask Auditioning

Try connecting the modem directly to where the cable goes into the grounding block on the outside of the house. If the lights on the modem don't light up like they are supposed to, then it is either the modem or the drop line to your house. In either case, they should fix it for you for free (If you are renting the modem from them).

If it does work then when it is working, call the cable company and ask them what your downstream and upstream signal levels are. You might be right on the edge.

Try asking over at dslreports