What's new

Cable modem hookup? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Need some help here. I've got cable TV (Cablevision)coming into my house on the second floor master bedroom. There's a splitter in the upstairs, and a cable running through the walls to the downstairs which is hooked up to the HT.

We've been looking into getting Optimum Online's high speed internet access, but the computer is downstairs.

My question: Can I split the signal before the TV downstairs and then run one cable to the TV and the other to the cable modem?

I thought yes at first, but then someone I know who isn't technical at all insists that I bascially can't split the signal at two different points.

Any thoughts? And I did ask Cablevision...their only response was that they recommend the splitter be as close the incoming cable connection as possible.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
heres what we do

we split the source cable coming from the pole with a splitter... then we run one cable to the modem, and one cable to another splitter, from there to our TVs

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
You'll want as few splitters in the computer's line as possible. Each splitter will reduce your signal strength by a certain amount. So if its possible, split it where it comes in the house and make a single run from that point to where the computer is. However you should be able to do it without any trouble, I don't know what your friend is referring to.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
My cable is split directly off the wall outlet in my house. I don't know if it is a standard splitter or something specific that designates between your video feed and your internet signal but your cable company will provide the splitter if you request it.

Bruce

Michael*K

Screenwriter
My cable line is split three ways in the basement where the line comes into the house. Two connections go to my televisions and one runs to the cable modem. I also have a splitter at my main television. One connection to the Tivo and the other directly into the television. Never had a problem.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna give it a go, and try the easy way first by splitting at the downstairs TV and hope there is no or at least minimal signal degradation. I'd hate to have to start drilling holes and running more cable...That's about the only thing in this money pit of a house that hasn't needed fixing.:D

LewB

Screenwriter
I have Optimum Online and here is my story:
O/O wants a dedicated line to the cable modem from a 2 way splitter which is placed at a point where the cable enters the house. This provides maximum signal strength to the modem. I have 2 3-way splitters in front of my modem. The leg of the splitter that I use on both is marked -3.5 db. The others are marked -7db. You lose signal strength with each split. I was using the -7db connections and was having intermittent problems with my modem. Morale of the story, split as few times as possible and if you do split use quality splitters and then use the legs with the lowest signal loss. I got my splitters from the cablevision tech when he came to the house to fix a problem that was their fault. Hope this helps.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Yeah, I have a 2-way splitter with a direct line to my Modem... don't have any problems. After that, I have a three-way splitter (one to another room, one to the digital cable box and one to the VCR) and I don't have any problems. You may want to consider that.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Yeah I split the cable where it enters the house. 1 line is then further split for the TV's the other line runs to the cable modem. if running cable all over is not what you wanna do. You could at the point of entry in the bedroom place the modem and a wireless access point and then get a wireless ethernet card for your computer.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I initially tried running my Comcast (Mediaone then) cable modem downstream from a couple of cable splitters, since there was already a CATV line in the home office. In my case, the signal strength loss was enough to cause intermittent connectivity problems to the Internet. I fixed the problem by splitting the cable modem and CATV distribution at the entry point within the house and thereby giving the cable modem it's own line. Now, I actually have two coaxial cables running to our home office -- one for the cable modem and another for the TV in that room.

Even if running off the additional splitters does work, keep in mind that you are reducing the signal strength, which may result in some loss of data packets. Those lost packets will result in retransmissions of packets, which will reduce the usable bandwidth on your Internet connection.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks again guys.

Lew, it sounds like you've got what I'm hoping to accomplish here...There will be two splitters before the modem if all goes well, and I'll be sure to follow you directions on the splitter connection.

Are you happy with O/O? I imagine there's some signal loss but probably still a huge speed improvement over dial up?

I was actually hoping to just go with Verizon DSL, but it's not available in my side of town.

LewB

Screenwriter
Are you happy with O/O? I imagine there's some signal loss but probably still a huge speed improvement over dial up?
I hate to admit it but I am happy with O/O. The speed is so much better than dial-up that you can't really compare them. It seems that my connection is even faster than at work, and I work at a computer company. My only problem is with the price, I have only basic cable service so I'm paying $50 a month for the cable modem service. On the other hand, I can never go back to phone internet and their help desk HAS been helpful the times that I called. They helped me diagnose problems due to too many splitters. Not sure if my speed would improve if I figured out a way to get rid of a splitter, but whenever I run speed tests, they indicate that I'm OK in terms of down-load speed.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
We have a three computer setup via a router at my home and my older son simplified everything when he brought in a wireless setup for his laptop. No cable runs and very simple to setup. Sure it's a little more money for the card and wireless modem but also you are not locked in to a specific location. My son surfs from anywhere in the house and has full remote use of my printer and other periferals on my computer in my office. Pretty neat. Bandwith is not a problem either. His connect speed is right up there with mine... We are on Charter Pipeline....

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Donny,

I do the same thing, since my girlfriend and I both have laptops... 200+ bucks for the setup, but I'm very happy with it.

I'm looking to get a printer that works off a Wireless router... what do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks