What's new

Cable Modem Going Slow (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The other day, my computer got messed up (don't know how) and I had to reformat my hard drive. I'm back on Windows 98 (I didn't go back to Windows XP) and I installed my drivers for my ethernet card (D-Link DFE-530TX+) for Windows 98 (along with installing drivers at the same time from the Windows 98 SE CD). When I go online, I can only download from websites around 15 kb/s - 30 kb/s and not at 100 kb/s like I used to before I had to reformat my hard drive. I called cable and I tried DSL Reports, and my connection is the same as usual, but I cannot get a fast connection at all. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Hugh M

Second Unit
try searching for "cablenut" software. It does a couple of tweaks to your system according to your cable company you are using.

it worked well for me to speed my connection up, which maxes out at 2Mb/s, which is somewhere around 256KB/s I think.

you could also suspect your cable. if the connection is weak then your cable modem service will be crappy as well.

I had some cable guy put my house on a splitter with a neighbor and I couldn't split the signal after that. When I wanted to watch TV I had to take the cable off of the modem and vice versa. The performance was also very poor when using the cable modem at that time. I called them and they came and found the problem and put my cable on its own spot.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to try that cablenut software. This is just so weird. The other day when I had XP, my cable modem was going normal. When I had to reformat my hard drive and install 98, my cable modem doesn't want to go normal. Ugh. :frowning:

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Either a problem with the network card - or else someone else has just moved in to a place that shares the cable modem loop you're on and it's someone who likes to spend his time downloading stuff virtually 24/7...

(Cable modem users share their bandwidth to the ISP with X amount of people due to the nature of the cable modem hookup, unlike xDSL folks who get a dedicated line much further along up the chain).

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I got the cable modem going at faster speeds. I hooked it up via USB instead of using an ethernet card (after a friend told me I should do that cause he had the same problems like me). When I did that, my download speeds went from 20 kb/s to 70 kb/s - 200 kb/s. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah, sounds like an ethernet driver problem with Windows 98. Or win98 is just dog slow for ethernet traffic. I notice in XP that surfing is usually 2-3x faster than in Windoze9x.

ChrisB

Stunt Coordinator
I used this place to soup up my cable modem-speed I am getting 165.2 mps. It helps that I am the only one on my switch here(buddy works for cable company) Then I use this site to test my speed-test

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks