What's new

Cable Mess Help needed! (1 Viewer)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
O.K. guys I need your opinions or suggestions. I finally have all the wires in place for my HT and in house Niles IR repeaters. I now end up with a HUGE mess of cables in my little eqiupment corner.

About;
10 Speaker Cables
5 CAT-5 Cables
10 Video cables
6 RG-6 Cables

Now my questiion is do I just poke a hole in the wall and run all of these cables directly to the eqiupment, do I get some type of interface panel(If so which one) for it, or is there something out there that will help me organise and clean up the apperance of all these cables coming out from the wall?

MikeWh

Second Unit
Here's a recent thread on cable management:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...06#post1539106

re: running the wires to the equipment:

I hope I've understood you correctly--- I'm assuming you didn't build your room from scratch--- otherwise these should have been installed inside the walls.

For post-construction work, many prefer to run cables under the baseboards. There is typically a little pocket of space under there, between the wall and carpet. Cables can generally squeeze in there fairly well. I see you have quite a lot of cables, so you'll have to see how many could be run that way.

Next option is running them under the house, assuming you're on a first floor. There are a couple ways to do this to make it a cleaner install.

Please elaborate on your situation, especially if it's apparent that I have no idea what you've already explained. ;)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Mike the cables have already been run inside the walls, my question has to do simply with the termination at the equipment rack wall. In other words the actual point at were this mess of cables come into the room from inside the walls.

MikeWh

Second Unit
AhhaHHHaaaa.... I see. Sorry 'bout that. (DOH!)

See: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1481922 and http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...70#post1549770

Take a look at some of the links in the first one for other wall plate options. Since you're already using Niles, they make a full line of modular jacks.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6tHqXNW...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Pay particular attention to the need for multiple plates/multiple-gang boxes, since there appears to be only so many wires that'll work on a single plate.Home Depot and Lowes both carry a large line of modular jacks. Might want to check them out, too.

Is this what you're looking for??

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
I went with the wall plate option. Since each plate can only take about 6 connections, I have six plates for all of my speaker cables, RG6 cables, and Cat5 cables. It looks better that just running through a hole in the wall, but its still quite a nest back there.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Oswald,

To me it seems really silly to terminate the wiring to a pricey wall plate, then run a second cable from the wall plate to the equipment. It makes more sense to just run the cables out of the wall and straight to the equipment. This way you have one straight-through cable and fewer termination points. Besides, who’s going to see a termination panel behind the equipment?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I agree wayne, since your going to need cables at the other end of the plate anyway what is the point. I guess a double gang plate with a hole in the middle will doo. I will then just have all the cables go directly to my equipment.

Thanks

Jeff Detiege

Auditioning
Oswald,

Don't overlook the resale possability. You may want to sell your house one day and it will be a lot easier with a nice terminated wall setup instead of a bunch of wires sticking out of a hole. Also if your equipment gets disconnected "accidently" what would you rather reconnect to, a bunch of tangled wires or a nicely labeled plate?

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks