Senior HTF Member
- Jun 21, 2000
- Real Name
- Matt Stone
How do you guys manage your cables. I've just got a big-ass jumble of cables behind my entertainment center...and I have no idea how to make it look better.
Disconnect each device, pull it out of the rack and wipe the dust off the device & the shelf. A soft toothbrush can be used to dust-off the un-used connectors.Good post Bob! but my I suggest you did not go far enough with Spring Cleaning.
Here are some additional steps:
(1) Buy some pipe cleaners. Fold 4-5 in long U shape
(2) Buy some Caig ProGold and spray on pipe cleaners.
(3) Insert pipe cleaners into contacts and around contacts after the dusting preferably and clean good. It pays to have a paper towel or two handy.
(4) Also, purchase Cardas Signature RCA caps. These caps fit over unused RCA jacks and really work. They eliminate electrical interference and also look great. This lowered the noise floor on my preamp a bunch.
(5) Periodically repeat contact cleaning (I do mine every 2-4 weeks depending on amount of listening)
(6) If you have unused swtiches, flip these up or down or on or off a few times to keep the switches fluid-old engineers trick that works.
(7) Buy new anti-static dust clothes and wipe down the equipment (dry!) every week. It will keep the equipment looking new.
(8) Clean contacts of AC plugs carefully every once and a while also.
(9) Avoid most types of chemical cleaning solutions on yoru equipment, but check owner's manual for specifics.
Cardas RCA Caps fit over unused female RCA connectors in your system to eliminate EMI and RF noise absorption. Unlike traditional shorting plugs, these caps do not short the inputs (many pre amps do not like having their inputs shorted). Another difference is Cardas RCA Caps completely cover the RCA input with a solid shield of nickel and brass to prevent both EMI and RFI from entering the chassis through the RCA dielectric. This is a more elegant and probably more effective solution than either shorting plugs or wrapping the plug in aluminum foil. Our caps also protect the RCA from dust and corrosion. Sets of 12 are available through your Cardas dealers.I was initially skeptical but I tried it and noticed it immediately, then took them out and put back in several times. It appears to create a quieter background.
Sometimes a little voodoo works!