Cable Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Anyone have some tips on cable management for the spiders web of cables I have behind my equipment rack. Or know of any handy gadgets to help out?

Ken

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I like using those plastic cable ties (pull tight with a zipper sound). I got all the audio/video connections (*10* including 6 analog, 3 component and 1 digital) between the DVD player and the receiver tied like a 'harness'. I try to get the power cables together too and away from the A/V ones.

3. Trent C

Trent C Agent

When I built my furniture I used plain old velcro. Screwed a few pieces to the back. Works wonderful and very inexpensive.

I also like to keep the wires separate -- speaker, power, audio and video.

Trent

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I used plastic wire ties and a short length of raceway for my living room setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow those before/after pics are dramatic!!!!
    I bought a rack that has big huge fat legs with cable management built in. That's a great solution!!!! [​IMG]

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I like to put the receiver/amp on the BOTTOM shelf. This allows the speaker wires (which carry power) to flow out without covering the back of the rest of the equipment.
    I run the power cords to one side of the rack & loosly bundle them with velcro strips.
    The interconnects are all bundled together down the middle with either velcro or split-loom tubing (Radio Shack).
    I would avoid the nylon zip-ties because of Murphys Law of Cable Management:

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Actually I use a little $30 Brother label machine to label my cables. (just some of them) It works great!

8. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

That "before" picture looks like my setup. Atleast I know it is possible for it to look like a neat and tidy [​IMG]
    Ken
    Btw, thanks for all the tips, that is a good idea to put the receiver on the bottom.

9. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Michael Lee - I like your simple looking rack. Looks sturdy too. What kind is it? Where can I get one?

10. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Thanks for the compliments!

Paul-It is a Sanus Euro Rack. It is extremely sturdy and is modular in design. I just added a 5 channel amp on top that weighs about 130 lbs. and it is fine. I will post a pic of it later.