1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cable Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Anyone have some tips on cable management for the spiders web of cables I have behind my equipment rack. Or know of any handy gadgets to help out?

Ken

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I like using those plastic cable ties (pull tight with a zipper sound). I got all the audio/video connections (*10* including 6 analog, 3 component and 1 digital) between the DVD player and the receiver tied like a 'harness'. I try to get the power cables together too and away from the A/V ones.

3. Trent C

Trent C Agent

When I built my furniture I used plain old velcro. Screwed a few pieces to the back. Works wonderful and very inexpensive.

I also like to keep the wires separate -- speaker, power, audio and video.

Trent

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I used plastic wire ties and a short length of raceway for my living room setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow those before/after pics are dramatic!!!!
    I bought a rack that has big huge fat legs with cable management built in. That's a great solution!!!! [​IMG]

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I like to put the receiver/amp on the BOTTOM shelf. This allows the speaker wires (which carry power) to flow out without covering the back of the rest of the equipment.
    I run the power cords to one side of the rack & loosly bundle them with velcro strips.
    The interconnects are all bundled together down the middle with either velcro or split-loom tubing (Radio Shack).
    I would avoid the nylon zip-ties because of Murphys Law of Cable Management:

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Actually I use a little $30 Brother label machine to label my cables. (just some of them) It works great!

8. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

That "before" picture looks like my setup. Atleast I know it is possible for it to look like a neat and tidy [​IMG]
    Ken
    Btw, thanks for all the tips, that is a good idea to put the receiver on the bottom.

9. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Michael Lee - I like your simple looking rack. Looks sturdy too. What kind is it? Where can I get one?

10. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Thanks for the compliments!

Paul-It is a Sanus Euro Rack. It is extremely sturdy and is modular in design. I just added a 5 channel amp on top that weighs about 130 lbs. and it is fine. I will post a pic of it later.