Cable Management

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_KC, Feb 22, 2002.

1. John_KC

John_KC Auditioning

Hey guys....

I tried to do a search but did not come up with anything regarding cable management(unless I was searching for the wrong keyword).

Do you guys know of any good cable management?? The better-half is getting a little touchy about all the spaghetti cable that we have behind the receivers and along the walls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i recommend going to radio-shack and buying their wiring-loom. it's this flexible, black, ribbed tube that you can stuff all your wires inside of. it comes it two different diameters...if you're using thicker cabling you'll definitely need the thicker loom. i think they're about 6ft each...but not sure.

in addition, get yourself some of the black reusable zip-tie cords. they'll come in handy to wrap up the excess wire around or behind the components.

in my case, it took me forever to get it done, but i'm pretty happy with the results.

3. efren

efren Auditioning

I've used wire looms you can get from AutoZone. It comes in different sizes, really easy to put on and take off. Also get plastic ties while you're there... [​IMG]

4. John_KC

John_KC Auditioning

Do these come in different colors?

Thx

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It helps to put your amp/receiver on the BOTTOM shelf. This allows the speaker wires to flow out with minimal drop, and the wires wont obscure the rest of the equipment. It also helps hide the speaker wires.

Pick a side and run your power cords to one side of your rack. Bundle them with velcro wraps or even nylon ties (Check your local hardware store. You'd be suprised at what they have).

Let the interconnects flow down the middle of the rack. Use the split-loom tubing, or velcro ties to hold them loosly together.

6. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

There was a thread not too long ago by HTF member Michael Lee. He posted some pictures of what his equipment looks like both before and after cable management. The change is really stunning. Check his thread out here: Cable Management = Happy Spouse

7. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

in reply to colors,here in wilmington we have a boaters world,they have the flex tube in white,black,red,green,up to 1" diameter.
    paul's HT

8. Jerry Wright

Jerry Wright Agent

John, I bought my wiring loom online at Radio Shack and there it is sold by the foot, both the 5/8" and the 3/4"

9. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

Now that I am working for a funiture builder. I am going

to make a AV cabnet with casters, 17" shelves and 5" more

of over hang on the top and sides. That way when I push

the cabnet against the wall all the wires will be hidden.

I will post pictures when I finally get off my duff and

compleat this project. Thats my idea of cable management,

hide them.

10. Larry Cole

Larry Cole Auditioning

Most of you have probably been doing something like this all along, but I finally got smart and bought a bunch of those little tags on string (like for pricing, from Office Max) and labeled both ends of every wire. Makes life a lot easier when I pull some component and a couple wires pull off the back. I used a CAD program to do a schematic too.